6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2013 5:29 PM by Peter M

Home Page Hijacker

Hi.  Has anyone out there experienced teh home page hijacker qv06?

• 1. Re: Home Page Hijacker
          spc3rd

Hi alexbogia and welcome to the Forums!

For more detailed information about the qvo6 browser hijacker, you might like to review the information found at the Bleeping Computer website via the link below:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-qvo6.com-browser-hijacker

Some of our other knowledgeable members and Moderators may be able to provide you with additional info as well.  Feel free to post back if you have further questions.

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 6/25/13 7:21:21 AM EDT
          • 2. Re: Home Page Hijacker
            wantonc22

Hi all, I am helping a friend of mine who has a computer addicted son who was born with Down Syndrom.  He likes to go to free video sites to watch The Brady Bunch stories and videos.  Unfortunately one of the games sites has depostied the "QV06" spy or virus and everytime the lad tries to watch his favourite family, the pop up just kills the computer response.  I am installing the Macafee anti virus software for him, (hopefully mum will agree to buy the full product) in an attempt to get rid of this virus. Any help about how to do it would be greatly appreciated.

• 3. Re: Home Page Hijacker
              Peter M

Maybe someone should find a safe place for him to download these things?   There's an excellent removal guide here:  http://malwaretips.com/blogs/qvo6-virus-removal/

Note that no antivirus is proof against everything unfortunately so extra tools are sometimes necessary.

Also see the last link in my signature below.

• 4. Re: Home Page Hijacker
                wantonc22

Wow! this is a great resource.  Yes I have downloaded the SparkTrust software and I have installed it so that it automatically starts on his computer.  His mother cannot help as she is elderly and totally computer illiterate.   I have just comandeered his computer for a couple of days to assist.  I am not a computer geek although many consider me knowledgable. 

Thank you so much for your reply.  I am talking here on my own computer as Damian's is installing Spark Plus cleaner plus referred to above. If I were not writing I would have my fingers crossed.  Anyway thanks for the help.  I shall report back if it all works.

• 5. Re: Home Page Hijacker
                  Peter M

I wouldn't recommend using SparkTrust together with McAfee as they will clash.  Parental Controls now known as Family Protection, part of some McAfee suites is probably more apt as you could make sure his user name is a Standard account, making sure yours is a password-protected Admin one of course, and then allowing him to access only certain websites that you specify.  I'm no expert on that feature though and you should perhaps take separate advice on that.  There is a section for Parental Controls here or you can ask on independant forums about the best way to tackle it.  I see that you have to use a lot of tact with such a child.

• 6. Re: Home Page Hijacker
                    Peter M

Actually Family Protection is a product or you can use Parental Controls included in the top 2 suites, forum here:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/parental_controls/parental_controls