6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2013 10:40 AM by jont717

Web Reporter and Content Security Reporter

jont717

Will Contect Security Reporter be replacing McAfee Web Reporter? 

If so, when will Web Reporter be phased out?

• 1. Re: Web Reporter and Content Security Reporter
          sroering

Content Security Reporter will eventually replace Web Reporter because it has the ability to integrate with more products and provide better dynamic content, but both products are still being developed.  Web Reporter 5.2.x doesn't have an end-of-life date published yet.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/support/support-eol-software-utilities.aspx

Typically, end-of-life (meaning end of feature development) will be posted  a year in advance, but new versions with bug fixes are still relased.  End of support (marking end of maintenance) it typically a year or more after end-of-life.  So Web Reporter still has plenty of life and you don't need to worry about switching anytime soon, unless you want to.

• 2. Re: Web Reporter and Content Security Reporter
            gabriel_86

Sincerely the "Content Security Reporter" isn't so good as WebReporter (IMHO) :-).

I hope that McAfee engineering keep going on with development.

Gabriel

• 3. Re: Web Reporter and Content Security Reporter
              jont717

Why do you feel that way?

Is it the way the reports are ran?  Or the way it has to be accessed through ePO?

• 4. Re: Web Reporter and Content Security Reporter
                gabriel_86

I don't like much how the data is accessible. In my opinion with "CSR" the data seems to be confused...not immediately readable respect how they are showed in the WebReporter. I tried to use it for a week...and I didn't like so; I have switched another time to the WebReporter.

• 5. Re: Web Reporter and Content Security Reporter
                  sroering

gabriel_86 wrote:

Sincerely the "Content Security Reporter" isn't so good as WebReporter (IMHO) :-).

I hope that McAfee engineering keep going on with development.

Gabriel

gabriel_86 wrote:

I don't like much how the data is accessible. In my opinion with "CSR" the data seems to be confused...not immediately readable respect how they are showed in the WebReporter. I tried to use it for a week...and I didn't like so; I have switched another time to the WebReporter.

Hello Gabriel,

Please pass along your feedback to your sales representitive and they can pass that information to the product manager.  You can also submit Product Enhancement Requests using this site.  Your feedback is of value and McAfee does take it seriously.

https://mcafee.acceptondemand.com/

CSR is heavily developed and there are some really good plans in the works that will continue to make CSR the best reporting product on the market. Of course CSR and MWR are separate products and there is some separation in features. Most notably, the ePO framework is still being extended to add support for directories with reporting.  Without it, CSR stll cannot report on user display names (jdoe => John Doe) or group based reports, but it is a top priority.  That being said, CSR has many features that MWR doesn't have; here are a few.

- Syslog log collection

- ePO integration (one common admin interface for McAfee products)

- Custom dashboards with charts and graphs

- Ability to pivot between data points which makes it easy to drill down to important data. In MWR, you would need to run, and possibly build several reports.

- Cross-product integration. Such as with Web Gateway to do list management. (for example ability to add a website or category to a whitelist or blacklist from your CSR dashboard to the Web Gateway policies)

- Additional log source types (ex. e-mail)

So in many ways CSR (short of one important feature) is better than MWR, but CSR will eventually get the directory integration and many other features.

If you have issues getting good report results, please work with our support team. Perhaps we can help with clarifying the product features and resolve your issues.  If there is a problem with product capabilities, please send us feedback as I described above.

• 6. Re: Web Reporter and Content Security Reporter
                    jont717

I understand what you are saying.  It does take some to get use to.

Why don't you run both side by side?  This is a good option becuase CSR does have its benifits.  I believe it will just take some time to transition.

For now, we are running Web Reporter and CSR together.  We push our logs to the Web Reporter and CSR is set to collect the logs.

Message was edited by: jont717 on 6/24/13 11:40:22 AM EDT