6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2013 4:31 AM by lichnt

Archive Logs via CIFS

lichnt

I tried use CIFS to archive logs at windows 2k3 , i see logs at windows 2k3 but i search logs it is error:

01.png

02.png

• 1. Re: Archive Logs via CIFS
          artek

Hi,

I guess, you are trying to configure the ELM to collect RAW logs - is it true?

If yes - you should configure "Storage polls" and click "Logging" option in the device source configuration. Then the RAW logs will be forwarded from the ERC to the ELM - but please be patient - it is not a real time process.

If you need more help regarding this configuration, I can prepare more detailed info.

Regards,

Artur

• 2. Re: Archive Logs via CIFS
            lichnt

Hi artek ,

I want locate log of all the data source via other ELM ,

At ELM i config " storage pools" (i testing at VMware so i cant add SAN) but when i choose at logging i see it ...

01.png

02.png

Can you help me,

i want storage log of all the data source with other ELM local and when i search log

• 3. Re: Archive Logs via CIFS

Your elm screenshot shows you have configured a storage device but not a storage pool

You need to use the bottom part of the screen to set up your pool as well, using the defined storage device.

• 4. Re: Archive Logs via CIFS
                lichnt

I has question :

1.ELM default is archive log local? to search at ELM Search has archive log at external log device ?

2. When archive log at external log device, is it automatic get log from local(ELM local) to external log device ? default how it get log from local (ELM local) to external log device ?

• 5. Re: Archive Logs via CIFS

I'm not sure I get your questions...

but basically, by default, ELM logs to whatever pool you have configured for your data source.

So your ELM could have a few devices (SAN, local), and a few polls (Pool 1 - 1 year retention), (Pool 2 - 1 month retention) on either local or remote storage.

You can specify to what pool your data source logs by clicking Logging on its configuration page. You need to do this step for ELM to work.

Next, logs on the receiver are sent to the ELM on a per-data-source basis every 12 hours, or every 5 megabytes - unless this changed (I think it may actually be 4 hours now... not sure!)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Archive Logs via CIFS
                    lichnt

@athena : thanks very much

i has question:

Log format of ELM is ? mean: with data source have syslog different so ELM has general type log format ?