4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2013 2:37 PM by tkincher

    Some API commands work some does not

    Attila Polinger

      Hello all,

       

      I got access to two separate ePO systems at my company. These are all 4.6 Patch 6 installations. I was given "global reviewer" rights on both.

      However I suspect this role might not entirely be the same as the out-of-the-box Global Reiewer role, as the administrators might have changed the role's permissions.

       

      So my issue is what best describes this list of phenomenon:

       

      1. I open a DOS command window.

      2. I issue a cURL statement in a DOS window to find a given host in ePO system (A). The host exists so the call returns the host properties (OK).

      3. I issue a similar cURL statement for ePO system (B), for a host that exists in ePO system (B). cURL requests my password as it did for the other system and then seemingly does nothing; nothing is returned and cURL does not finish (the cursor blinks, until I press Ctrl-C.

      4. in both cases when I issue a cURL statement with URL https://eposystem:8443/remote/core.help, the call returns the available function list for both systems OK.

       

      Please can anyone give me advice how to troubleshoot?

       

      Thanks in advance!

       

      Attila

       

      Message was edited by: apoling on 19/06/13 14:17:19 CEST
        • 1. Re: Some API commands work some does not
          tkincher

          Hmmm... A couple of questions:

           

          1. How many systems are you searching against (how many are in the Tree) and what are you using for a search parameter (IP, name, etc)?

          2. Do you have access to the server's orion.log or can you request to see it? There may be relevant information there.

          • 2. Re: Some API commands work some does not
            Attila Polinger

            Hi Travis,

             

            there is a significant difference as to the number of systems in these two ePO servers: first manages around 9000 nodes the other more than 100,000 nodes.

            I search by host name (short).

             

            On the other hand if I enter the host name on the second ePO server GUI's Quick System Search field, it is workingfor a while (30 sec at most) and then returns the host as found.

             

            I might be able to get the orion.log but this has little likelihood.

             

            I might be giving cURL a second shot and wait till it times out/gives up and returns something useful...

             

            Attila

            • 3. Re: Some API commands work some does not
              Attila Polinger
              I might be giving cURL a second shot and wait till it times out/gives up and returns something useful...

               

              ..and this worked! I had to wait 4 minutes 35 secs until I got a response but I got one! I did not expect 100 000 client to be such a huge difference with regards to search.. I assume normal daily operation affects Web API performance (which is a bad news after all).

               

              This is ePO 4.6 Patch 6. Could there be a performance improvement tip from you (or an explanation at least) ?

               

              Thank you for your help!

               

              Attila

              • 4. Re: Some API commands work some does not
                tkincher

                The query is doing a partial-text search against twelve different fields, so for a large table I can see why this would be slow, especially for shorter search strings (as it has to do more comparisons). You might try using the fully qualified domain name or another longer string and see if that helps performance.

                 

                I would guess that there are performance enhancements we can do on our end to speed this up as well. I will file a defect and we will look into it as time permits.

                1 of 1 people found this helpful