8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2014 2:34 PM by Peacekeeper

How to turn off "Your computer is at risk" warning?

I just did a complete uninstall (using MCPR) and a custom web install of Total Protection 12.1/16.1 with only Anti-Virus selected.

Why does the Security Center continue to pester me about my computer being at risk without a firewall?

I know I don't have a firewall, I explicitly selected NOT to have one!

How do I turn this idiotic warning off?

Thanks,

Richard

• 1. Re: How to turn off "Your computer is at risk" warning?
          Hayton

If you don't have any firewall at all your PC is at risk from all sorts of malware attacks. I take it you're using the Windows Firewall instead?

EDit - Open Security Center, select Navigation, click on General Settings and Alerts, select Protection Alerts, check the box that says Don't notify when Firewall is Off. That should do it.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 14/06/13 14:13:08 IST
          • 2. Re: How to turn off "Your computer is at risk" warning?

Hi Brandon,

I appreciate your concern.  This PC does not have a network connection.  After the install, I moved it back to the lab where it is used as a stand-alone device programmer and the only network is "sneaker net" (floppy and USB keys).  Regardless of my specific use case, I can envision many more where people deliberately do not install the firewall, and in doing so would naturally expect no warnings or continual nagging.  Why allow the user the option to not install, or disable, and then nag them about doing so?  Doesn't this seem a bit broken?

Thanks,

Richard

• 3. Re: How to turn off "Your computer is at risk" warning?
              Hayton

Oh, right. I see now why you don't need a firewall :-)

Most cases where someone wants to disable the McAfee firewall are where they prefer to use the built-in Windows firewall instead, or are just turning it off temporarily to download a program that would otherwise be blocked. I don't recall another case in the Consumer section of a PC being air-gapped in this way. I guess it's something the designers didn't really take into account.

Did checking the Do-Not-Notify box get rid of the pop-up messages? I suspect the Security Center will still be telling you reproachfully that you are At Risk. Can't do anything about that, I'm afraid.

• 4. Re: How to turn off "Your computer is at risk" warning?

Yes, I checked the "Do-Notify-Box", it has no effect, still nagging me!  I am not surprised it had no effect, seeing that the Firewall S/W is not installed!  Again, seems like another bug to me!

• 5. Re: How to turn off "Your computer is at risk" warning?
                  Peacekeeper

Are you running the windows firewall? That box should stop the messages if windows firewall is active.

That said we had two users back 12 mths who wanted neither windows or mcafee firewall to be loaded and yes Mcafee could not stop the messages. We aske dthe techs in our weekly call but they said the developers would not change the setting sorry.

• 6. Re: How to turn off "Your computer is at risk" warning?
                    dougk_t3

Tony is quite correct - it's a feature to warn our customers when their protection is not functioning, and consequently won't be removed.

• 7. Re: How to turn off "Your computer is at risk" warning?
                      dotunex

THIS IS JUST RETARDED STUPIDITY. I didn't spend my money on this software to keep getting harassed by a stupid notification. It keeps telling me real-time scanning is off, and when I turn it on, it goes right back off. I've downloaded some nonsense virtual fixer software which didn't fix sheesh, and I've spent 20 minutes of my life reading nonsense online about how to get rid of a notification!!!! So ****** off right now.

If you know your stupid software has a bug, fix it!! Uninstalling this nonsense and never buying it again!

• 8. Re: How to turn off "Your computer is at risk" warning?
                        Peacekeeper

Did you have another Antivirus installed before you installed Mcafee? If so you must remove that software with its own removal tool as the windows removal can leave bits of teh sotware still on your PC that will clash with McAfee.

Try running the software removal tool now though it may be necessary to uininstall Mcafee and run the tool and reinstall it.

Uninstall method

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

and a faq re the issues you have tried steps 1 and 2