8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2013 4:58 PM by rees

Router disconnects

Ever since installing mcafee on my windows 8 laptop every time I switch the laptop on it disconnects my wireless connection for the laptop and all other wireless devices.  The only way to fix it is to restart the router.  Any ideas how to fix this?

• 1. Re: Router disconnects
          stnle

Do you have other computers with the same issue? What is the model of the router? I seem to experience something similar on Sony Vaio PC with Asus wifi router that I recently added. Other PC's with Kaspersky and NOD32 have no issue. I blame the router since with Netgear and Linksys I have not had any issues so far. I am interested in troubleshooting this further.

• 2. Re: Router disconnects
            Peter M

rees wrote:

Ever since installing mcafee on my windows 8 laptop every time I switch the laptop on it disconnects my wireless connection for the laptop and all other wireless devices.  The only way to fix it is to restart the router.  Any ideas how to fix this?

In addition to finding help here you might want to open a case with Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat 24/7 for your area - this is the link:  http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=2057&sg=TS

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/07/13 7:59:02 EDT AM
            • 3. Re: Router disconnects
              stnle

Hi rees,

I have managed to fix my issue at home today by changing the router settings. It is definitely not a McAfee issue, please try using b/g mode instead of n in the router settings. The speed will be limited to 54 Mbps wifi but you would not get more than that anyway. It works for all my PC's now, I got an issue with the authentication and it is definitely the router.

Thank you.

• 4. Re: Router disconnects
                Peter M

Glad you got it sorted out.  It should not matter what speed the router is set at though.   Mine is set toi ultra high-speed and is fine.

• 5. Re: Router disconnects
                  stnle

It matters for the people who trust the information on the box - e.g. 600 Mbps WIFI Switching from n to b/g is always the way to bring older PC's (with built-in wifi) back in the game, on condition nothing helps (as in my case).

• 6. Re: Router disconnects
                    Peter M

Understood, thanks.

• 7. Re: Router disconnects
                      Peacekeeper

But rees was this of any help?

• 8. Re: Router disconnects

Haven't had chance to try messing with the router but am likely to log a technical call s the problem still happens when I switch on my laptop (Sony by the way). The other devices that get locked out are two iPads after the laptop has been switched on. Thanks for advice everyone.