I wish I could provide you with an answer, but we're facing the same problem! I hope there's someone with an idea!
we have the same Problem as you described.
We noticed this Issue mostly on Notebooks with SSD Disks and Symantec AV installed on it.
Which AV-Programm do you use? Because we detected a relationship between one AV-Service and the McAfee Software.
We also use Symantec AV. SEP version 11.x to be exact.
edit: apologies, it is actually SEP 12
you should have a look at the Symantec BHDrvx64 driver. There can be a conflict witth McAfee Drivers while starting up the Machine.
You can try to change the Start-Type from System to Automatic.
The Driver exists only in SEP 12.x ist for Proactive Detection SONAR. With SEP 11.x we had no Problems so far.
So my advice should help you.
I have had this issue on multiple machines. We are not using FF (yet) or DLP and use forefront as an AV. I have noticed that I am able to log on to the machine (while it is at the starting windows screen) from the Configuration Manager Remote Control and also able to access the admin$ on the stations, and they never leave the starting windows screen. This helps with recovering files. Afterwards I unencrypt and re-encrypt. I have also noticed that these machines are almost always doing Windows upates before this happens. Not sure if any of this helps, but I just wanted to share my observations.
interesting statement. in our company were many errors as we could distribute the service pack one on wsus. that was over a year ago. until now there is no solution about which number of KB patch
I have the same issue.
Now have tested one solution - change the BIOS version (update it) in some cases it helps, but still have some machines with this issue.
I know this may sound crazy, but my team is seeing many cases where machines with Windows 7 x64 with an SSD and end point encryption enforced locks up randomly. We have tried everything from upgrading the bios, upgrading all drivers, disabling wireless cards, installing Intel Rapid Storage (which should upgrade the storage controller drivers) and some of them would fix it for a day, a week, but nothing long term. The only fix that works is disable system restore. Still waiting to make sure it still works after weeks, but so far so good. If you find good luck with this, please let me know.