5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 2:54 PM by SafeBoot

Windows Surface Laptops/Tablets

john.montez

I'm getting ready to setup a goup of the Surface tablets/laptops. Has anyone encrypted a surface Pro using EEPC 6.1.3? If so, did you have any problems?

• 1. Re: Windows Surface Laptops/Tablets
          Hayton

Question moved from Security Awareness to Business / Data Protection / Encryption: ePO Managed for attention.

• 2. Re: Windows Surface Laptops/Tablets
            JayMan

I don't think 6.1.3 supports Windows 8 or UEFI devices. You'll need to upgrade to EEPC 7 first.

I haven't done a Surface Pro device, however have done a Samsung Slate7 & Lenovo Helix, both running Windows8 Enterprise x64.

Samsung Slate7:

-This encrypted fine with EEPC7; however the pre-boot screen requires you to use the Stylus or USB device to enter credentials. The firmware on the device doesn't support the touch interface during bootup.

Lenovo Helix:

-This appears to encrypt fine, however after reboot the device doesn't get to the pre-boot screen. I've tried twice & had the same result. This is the first true UEFI device i've tried encrypting, so maybe i'm missing something obvious in my process. I need to log a McAfee Support ticket to try to get this sorted.

• 3. Re: Windows Surface Laptops/Tablets

As others have said, the Surface Pro is a UEFI device, so you need to be using EEPC7 - but in this case, Mirosoft does not (yet) include the required UEFI pointer control drivers in their pre-boot environment, so users will not be able to login without an external keyboard etc.

• 4. Re: Windows Surface Laptops/Tablets
                jim.roberts

Microsoft's latest firmware update combined with the 7.01 patch allows for touch on the surface pro during preboot....at least it has for the 6 pro's I'm using for testing in our environment.  Now if only I could figure out a way to make the keyboard big enough to be usable by humans rather than ants....

Message was edited by: jim.roberts on 6/11/13 2:25:29 PM CDT

Message was edited by: jim.roberts on 6/11/13 2:25:52 PM CDT

Message was edited by: jim.roberts on 6/11/13 2:26:28 PM CDT
                • 5. Re: Windows Surface Laptops/Tablets

Think of it as an additional level of security Jim