1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 5:04 AM by mwebb

McAfee Agent 4.8 & Client Notifications for System Restarts

mwebb

Since I deployed the new McAfee Agent 4.8, I don't seem to be able to hide those notifications that ask end users on the clients to "Restart their computer" as a New McAfee Product has been installed.

I have created a new policy, and pushed it to the clients I am testing this on and the policy has both the "Prompt User When a Reboot is required" and the "Force Automatic Reboot after (Seconds) 60" unchecked against the reboot options after product deployment. (As shown in the picture below)

Agent Policy.png

And still the Agents display the message asking the end user to restart once a patch or upgrade has been installed. I have had the issue with DLP 9.2 patch 2 and with EEFF 4.1 patch 1 so far.

I do not want the end users on the clients to receive these messages. On previous version of the Agent they have been blissfully unaware of any updates / patches and I would like this to continue.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

Thanks

• 1. Re: McAfee Agent 4.8 & Client Notifications for System Restarts
          Attila Polinger

Hi,

can you make sure that this policy item is enforced on the very client?

(a screenshot of this to prove is highly appreciated)

Thanks.

Attila

• 2. Re: McAfee Agent 4.8 & Client Notifications for System Restarts
            mwebb

Hi Attila,

I had checked that the policy was applied before trying to deploy the patches, this is a screen shot for the laptop I was working on at the time.

Assigned Policy.png

The General Policy for the Agent, is the one that was pictured in the first post which I have created from the McAfee Default and called "BBC Encrypted ... V2", with the Reboot options unchecked.

I have set up an assignment rule for the System Tree Folder the client computer is in. Which is why the "Source" column says 'rule'. And the agent has reported back to the ePO server that the policy has been applied.

Here's a list of what is installed on the client, not sure if this will be of any use here but it gives an idea of what I have running on our systems (I have <removed> some details, but they are not relevant to the issue as they are as they should be):

System Information 

Computer Name: ID-8622

McAfee Agent 

Version number: 4.8.0.641

Managed 

Last security update check: 05/06/2013 09:26:20

Last agent-to-server communication: 05/06/2013 09:24:11

Agent to Server Communication Interval (every): 10 minutes

Policy Enforcement Interval (every): 15 minutes

Agent ID: {F87AA850-E787-4C55-AA79-<removed>}

ePO Server/Agent Handler 

DNS Name: <removed>

IP Address:  <removed>

Port Number: 443

McAfee ePO Deep Command Discovery Plugin 

Version number: 1.5.0.511

Language: Multiple

McAfee DLP Endpoint 

Version number: 9.2.200.60

Language: English (United States)

McAfee Endpoint Encryption Agent 

Version number: 7.0.0.311

McAfee Endpoint Encryption for Files and Folders 

Version number: 4.1.0.577

McAfee EEGO 

Endpoint Encryption for PC 

McAfee GTI Proxy Agent 

Version number: 2.0.0.614

McAfee SiteAdvisor Enterprise 

Version number: 3.5.0.573

ePO-MVT 

Version number: 1.1.0.0

Language: English

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 

Version number: 8.8.0 (8.8.0.975)

Build date: 14/08/2012

Anti-virus License Type: licensed

Scan engine version (32-bit): 5600.1067

Scan engine version (64-bit): 5600.1067

DAT version: 7096.0000

DAT Created on: 6/4/2013

Number of Signatures in extra.dat: 0

Name of threats that extra.dat can detect: None 

Buffer Overflow and Access Protection DAT version: 657

Installed Patches: 2

• 3. Re: McAfee Agent 4.8 & Client Notifications for System Restarts
              Attila Polinger

Hi,

I just saw that these options apply to "product deployment". We should be careful of McAfee terminology, so this might not mean these apply to upgrade* or patch installation.

Patch installation is through "other mechanism" than product deployment if I does not err much, it is part of the "update" mechanism and as such, is not strictly speaking a deployment client task.

Attila

* I'm not sure what you mean by "upgrade": is this a deployment task that installs product and thus replaces/upgrade a similar, lower version product?

• 4. Re: McAfee Agent 4.8 & Client Notifications for System Restarts
                mwebb

Hi Attila,

I have checked in the latest patched release of a product, in this case:

• Endpoint Encryption for Files & Folders 4.1.1 - which was released as a complete product download with hotfix 879798. This was checked in to the ePO Server with the relevant Extensions and help files.
                • McAFee DLP Endpoint 9.2 Patch 2 - which was released as a complete product download. I have followed the detailed Installation Guide for this product, using the instructions for "Installing a Version Upgrade" (Chapter C in the guide from page 41 onwards).

In both cases, the deployment of the products was via a Client Task & Client Task Assignment, rather than the "Security Update" feature. Below is a screen shot of the task from my Client Task Catalogue.

client deploy dlp922.png

I refered to it as being an "upgrade" as the clients had earlier versions of both of the products nstalled on them.

I would, therefore, consider this to be a product deployment rather than anything else, which should follow the settings as applied in the Agent Policy.

• 5. Re: McAfee Agent 4.8 & Client Notifications for System Restarts
                  Attila Polinger

Hello,

I see.

My other tip is that "upgrading" of these products go as physically uninstallation of the prior and then installation of the new. So this may be, that a reboot is required after uninstall is done which cannot be postponed (suppressed) and required in order to complete the deployment task.

So it is possible that the options do NOT apply in this situation, but in those, where no similar product is installed (in which a reboot is not entirely part of a successful deployment task).

/Found certain articles not in connection with this but in connection with that Force reboot option does not work and these articles said that "beacuse the reboot is just recommended" this behaviour, that is, the force reboot did not occur, was by design. This is just a sidenote to see how they interpret the working of these two options/

Attila

• 6. Re: McAfee Agent 4.8 & Client Notifications for System Restarts
                    mwebb

I do understand what is being said, however, my issue is that I have a client with McAfee Agent 4.6 on it that does not prompt for a reboot with the deployment of these two products and I have a client with McAfee Agent 4.8 which does prompt. Both clients have the same Agent policy applied...

• 7. Re: McAfee Agent 4.8 & Client Notifications for System Restarts
                      Attila Polinger

For the time being I can only say that either this funcionality might have changed across agent versions, is a bug, or please try that you check the option (enable) the reboot, force a client policy update, then again uncheck (disable) the reboot option, force policy update, to eliminate invalid values on client (if at all this is an option int the agent registry: at least I could not identify any registry item that might resemble a control of such function).

I am sorry I could not be of any more help this time.

Attila

• 8. Re: McAfee Agent 4.8 & Client Notifications for System Restarts
                        mwebb

I'm hoping that it is a bug and is fixed in the very near future. I have a support call raised with our providers. Just wanted to get a feel for what others are experienceing with Agent 4.8.

I have tried the check and uncheck of the reboot options, Still no difference to the overall behaviour when they are unchecked. Still seeing the notifications for a restart,

Thanks for looking at this, hopefully there is an answer?!

Message was edited by: mwebb on 05/06/13 05:32:05 CDT
                        • 9. Re: McAfee Agent 4.8 & Client Notifications for System Restarts
                          Attila Polinger

You could try adding a REBOOT=R or /norestart to the command line field under the product to be deployed in the respective client task.

Maybe this prevents the prompt as no restart will be allowed.

Attila

1 2 Previous Next