4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 4:21 AM by ascoyne

Deploying VSE 8.8 Patch 2 and Hotfixes in the correct order

ascoyne

I want to start to deploy VSE 8.8 Patch 2 to our systems, but I notice that there are few hotfixes that also need to be deployed that fixes a few issues with Patch 2.  Is it possible to configure an update task so it deploys Patch 2 and then applies the hotfixes, or do I not need to worry about this as the McAfee Agent will install them in the correct order i.e. Patch 2, then hotfixes?

• 1. Re: Deploying VSE 8.8 Patch 2 and Hotfixes in the correct order
          lrock

When we moved to vse 8.8 p2, I did not put hotfix for p2 in "current" status in master repository and instead left it as "evaluation". After P2 finished, I moved hotfix from evaluation to current and then ran "update task". I did test a push though with both P2 and hotfix ready to roll and task new to install p2 then hotfix. Maybe someone else has seen a different response though.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Deploying VSE 8.8 Patch 2 and Hotfixes in the correct order
            ascoyne

Thanks the reply. 

I did consider that, but the issue I have is that a large percentage of devices are out of contact of the ePO so the concern I have is that when a system communicates in 2 months time it will install the hofixes in the wrong order and break it.  With a product deployment task it is easy as one can specify the order the products are installed, but with hotfixes, updates and patches it doesn't does not give this level of flexibility.  Its a bit of a nightmare as the KBase is quite explict that you have to install in the following order:

P2

HF805660

HF778101

HF820636

HF846562

• 3. Re: Deploying VSE 8.8 Patch 2 and Hotfixes in the correct order
              lrock

when viewing mcafee agent status monitor, when a machine checks for a hotfix, if it does not need it, it moves on. That's what i've seen at least.

• 4. Re: Deploying VSE 8.8 Patch 2 and Hotfixes in the correct order
                ascoyne

McAfee gold support advise it is not currently possible to to specify which order hotfixes are applied and they suggest submitting a PER. 

This being the case I added Patch 2, 805660, 778101, 820636, 846582 and 793781 to the Evaluation Branch then created a new policy that told the Agent to use the Evaluation Branch to update VSE.

I have tested it against 8 systems so far and all of them installed Patch 2 and hotfixes in the order in which I added them to respository (not sure if this is by design) - all with no problems so far.

To summarise I added the patch and hotfixes in the following order to the repository:

Patch 2