2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2013 9:57 AM by epository

Manage Wifiadapter with HIPS

mcoulon

Hello all !

Can someone tell me if it's possible to  do the following with HIPS.

I want to create a rule that when laptops are connected to the corporate network with the cable, the Wifi adapter automaticly 'disables/blocks' to avoid having two IP adresses assigned to one machine.

Is this possible with HIPS...

If yes, how?

If no, what other solution( McAfee )  can i use for this ?

Thank you,

Regards,

Maxime

• 1. Re: Manage Wifiadapter with HIPS
          Kary Tankink
          I want to create a rule that when laptops are connected to the corporate network with the cable, the Wifi adapter automaticly 'disables/blocks' to avoid having two IP adresses assigned to one machine.

DHCP traffic is hard-coded to be allowed, so you cannot create HIPS rules to block IP address requests/assignments to a DHCP server, nor can it enable/disable a network adapter.

I'm not sure about what other McAfee products can perform this; you might want to run this scenario by your McAfee Sales team.

• 2. Re: Manage Wifiadapter with HIPS
            epository

https://community.mcafee.com/message/134288#134288

this has a pretty good rundown basically you use CAG's to isolate connections...also you may want to create a DLP rule to prevent USB 3G dongles from being used....not sure if "Connection Isolation" will prevent these.

As far as VPN's...i think there is a canned firewall group you can bring into your firewall ruleset.

Also, you can use DLP to montior Network Cards and from that data...find out how wireless cards are identified to block them completely.

Message was edited by: epository on 6/3/13 9:57:45 AM CDT