4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2013 10:40 AM by uzanatta

McAfee Agent Virtual Machine (ESX Server)

uzanatta

Hi there,

what does happen when a Virtual Machine switches from an ESX Server to another ESX Server ?

The MAC address changes but hostname and IP address are the same. Does ePO see the same machine on the System Tree?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: McAfee Agent Virtual Machine (ESX Server)
          alexn

Yes, ePo see the same machine .I have practically done it in the past without any issue.You may move as many machines from one ESX to another.ePo will communicate  via same ip or dns name and modify the DB MAC entry.

Thank you.

• 2. Re: McAfee Agent Virtual Machine (ESX Server)
            uzanatta

Hi,

thank you for your prompt reply.

I had same scenario done with VMWare workstation adding a new network address and disabling the first one: same GUID, different IP same subnet, different MAC same id vendor and everything seems to be working.

After having imported the VM from Vmware Workstation to VirtualBox (different Ip/different subnet, different id vendor/different MAC), McAfee agent generated another GUID and machine went to Lost & Found tree.

My question is: does a different network card generate another GUID? Do you have any idea?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: McAfee Agent Virtual Machine (ESX Server)
              alexn

When ePo communicates it  checks two pieces of information - first the GUID, and then the MAC address (if the GUID is new.)

when a machine connects for the first time, it will have a new GUID w.r.t its  MAC address.

does a different network card generate another GUID? Do you have any idea?

Yes. ePo generates new GUID  against each new NIC and place it in ePOVirtualMacVendor table in DB.Epo checks each system w r to mac comparing with GUID.If it finds dismatch it will think this is new system and will assign a new GUID for that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful