9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 3:57 PM by jim.roberts

Endpoint Encryption 7.0 issue

romardy

Hi,

Got problem with EEPC v7.0. Encryption stuck at message of "Searching Available Encryption Provider" and system state "Inactive"

Anyone encounter this one? Below are the details of the product

McAfee Agent 4.8.0.641

EE Agent 7.0.1.354

EEPC 7.0.1.354

• 1. Re: Endpoint Encryption 7.0 issue
          Timmah

Hi Romardy,

Any chance of attaching an MfeEpe.log?

Cheers,

Tim

• 2. Re: Endpoint Encryption 7.0 issue
            romardy

Hi Timmah,

Attaching log file of affected machine. Also, contacted McAfee support on this.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Endpoint Encryption 7.0 issue
              Timmah

Hi Romardy,

Unfortunately there's no blindingly obvious cause from the logs. A debug version should shed some light on the matter, as there's a communication timeout occurring, but for now, I'd recommend you continue down the route of support.

If you do get a debug log, for the sake of curiousity, please don't hesitate to share!

Cheers,

Tim

• 4. Re: Endpoint Encryption 7.0 issue
                drumik

We have the same issues. Working with McAffee without any luck yet

One workaround that I found is to deactivate encryption, remve 7.x agent as well as PC piece, reboot

Install 6.1.3, reboot. Encrypt the PC and once it's done install 7.x

From 300+ test deployment we had issues on over 40 PC's

• 5. Re: Endpoint Encryption 7.0 issue
                  jim.roberts

I just rolled out v7.0 to ~7K machines on Wednesday of last week.  5800 or so are complete.  Of those 5800, ~1300 are new builds and the rest are upgrades from 6.1.3  and I have not seen this issue.  I will be watching this thread just in case it comes up.

Message was edited by: jim.roberts on 6/11/13 2:36:00 PM CDT
                  • 6. Re: Endpoint Encryption 7.0 issue
                    drumik

I didn't had a single issue upgrading to EE 7.0.1.354 but I had issues with fresh installs. 6.1.3 worked just fine

How did you deployed 7.x?

Did you had 2 task or one?

Did you use any command switches (such as "NOREBOOT")

Thanks

• 7. Re: Endpoint Encryption 7.0 issue
                      jim.roberts

We had two parts to the upgrade.  First we packaged it for ZTI and put it in our build process.  I would have to ask the build guys but I'm fairly sure they used the no-reboot switch.  We are also testing usage of the the EpeTemporaryAutoboot.exe to resolve a few timing issues in the build but we haven't rolled that to production yet.

About a week after it went into the build I scheduled a single client task to in ePO to install the agent and then the client. on our existing 6.1.3 machines.  We chose that method because we were getting a few inconsistant error messages when we pushed the upgrade via SCCM.  Rather than taking the time to troubleshoot the messages I decided to just push via ePO.

• 8. Re: Endpoint Encryption 7.0 issue
                        drumik

Thank you

Seems to be our issue was that we did roll it out from ePO as single task

Interesting fact that we had zero issues with the upgrade from 6.1.3 only some of the fresh installs had issues

• 9. Re: Endpoint Encryption 7.0 issue
                          jim.roberts

Single Tasks hould be fine as long as the agent installed first.  I tested single task pretty extensively on both upgrades and new builds before i deployed it and the only time I had an issue was if i scheduled the client to install first.

Message was edited by: jim.roberts - Fixed a typo on 6/11/13 3:57:09 PM CDT

Message was edited by: jim.roberts bah!, more typos on 6/11/13 3:57:42 PM CDT