1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2013 11:23 AM by Peter M

I am pretty sure I have a virus or the remants of one

Hello,

I have this problem where my personal firewall keeps turning off without me doing anything. I have tried to download antiviral software, but my computer keeps telling me those programs have viruses. I am pretty sure the virus is attached to my Internet explorer program. Anyway, I have McAfee protection but it cant seem to find and/or remove the problem. I only use PC to play computer games and I am not tec savvy so please explain your answer plainly.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Frank

• 1. Re: I am pretty sure I have a virus or the remants of one
          Peter M

There are many reasons why a firewall would turn off unexpectedly and malware is one of them.    In the last link in my signature below are some hints and links to various tools.

You might consider running Stinger, Malwarebytes Free (note it can be installed, updated and run all in "Safe Mode with Networking" and also note, do NOT accept the free trial offer otherwise you end up with the wrong version), and you could also try RootkitRemover.

I moved this thread for the time being to Malware Discussions > Home User Assistance as a more appropriate spot.

• 2. Re: I am pretty sure I have a virus or the remants of one

Hi Ex_Brit,

Thank you for responding, the problem I am also having is that anything I try to download via Internet explorer is being viewed as a virus(attachments to emails, other Internet broswers and  all the tools in you last signatur). I feel if I had a different browser I will be able to download the right programs to remove this virus. I have thought about a system restore but I am not sure if that will help. Let me know what I need to do (and how cause I suck at computers) to help you help me.

Thanks,

Frank

• 3. Re: I am pretty sure I have a virus or the remants of one
              Peter M

System Restore is a good place to start, at least try it.  If you can't start it in regular mode it can be done from Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly while booting up).   By the way what operating system and service pack, if applicable, is this and what version of Internet Explorer is installed (Help/About)?

• 4. Re: I am pretty sure I have a virus or the remants of one

I have windows 7 premium and I am currently using Internet explorer 10. you know the funny thing is I cant uninstall the browser. I have tried to find the program, but I cant. Should I do the system restore now? should I do the restore in safe mode?

• 5. Re: I am pretty sure I have a virus or the remants of one
                  Peter M

IE10 is the latest version so that is OK, what browser were you trying to install?    Your Windows 7 is SP1 I trust and totally up to date?

• 6. Re: I am pretty sure I have a virus or the remants of one
                    Vinod R

looks like there are junction points setup on windows defender and its redirecting it into other folders... i would suggest that you to reach out to any malware forums.. the machine is most likely affected by a Zero access trojan which has the Rookit part killed..(i could be wrong though as i have not checked your pc or logs)

tools i would suggest

Getsusp  from getsusp.mcafee.com

stinger from stinger.mcafee.com

rootkitremover from rootkitremover.mcafee.com

try these post session with any malware removal forum-- i understand you are unable to download files via the browser-as it detects are removes it as an infection - these are junction points setup to redirect scan into another location triggering a false alarm - typical behaviour of M++ or zeroaccess.. post back once your issue is fixed from a malware removal forum- (to start you may check the signature on Ex_brit's post)

• 7. Re: I am pretty sure I have a virus or the remants of one
                      Peter M

Those tools are all listed in the last link in my signature below if you need quick reference.

• 8. Re: I am pretty sure I have a virus or the remants of one

Thanks soo much for your help!!!!!!!! I have downloaded stinger and rootkit remover on my laptop and used a USB to transfer them to my PC. I felt very james bond, but I digress. I am running the stinger scan and I will upload the results, but just o double check would stinger be able to remove the virus or is that what rootkiller is for?

Frank

• 9. Re: I am pretty sure I have a virus or the remants of one
                          Peter M

Either one may be effective but you can never guarantee it because these things mutate frequently.   If you want a solid 3rd party opinion I would run a Hijackthis session and post its log on one of the forums that specialize in this sort of thing.

See lower down the last link in my signature below, as mentioned earlier.

1 2 Previous Next