1 2 3 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2014 7:39 AM by Peter M Branched from an earlier discussion.

My Real-Time Scanning won't stay on (McAfee Internet Security 2013)

I have gone to the techs twice and everytime they want to charge to fix it, that's bull! I pay a suscription to protect my pc. i unistalled Mcafee plus and the problem seemed to go away untill I re-started my pc and the "real time scanning" turned itself off  and the exclamation mark on my icon came on again and again and again. Does Mcafee add malware to computer to make money with the techs? That's totally disgusting!

• 1. Re: My Real-Time Scanning won't stay on (McAfee Internet Security 2013)
          Peter M

Charge?   Where exactly are you going for help?   A URL would help.

If the software keeps disabling itself it sounds like you have malware.  Try some of the tools in the last link in my signature such as Rootkit Remover, Malwarebytes Free etc.

• 2. Re: My Real-Time Scanning won't stay on (McAfee Internet Security 2013)
            Peter M

By the way maybe they directed you to Virus Removal Service, as it does sound like your machine is infected.  That would be quite normal for any antivirus company, they all charge extra for professional virus removal.  It's up to you to research free alternatives and that's where I come in.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/05/13 5:56:06 EDT PM
            • 3. Re: My Real-Time Scanning won't stay on (McAfee Internet Security 2013)

My pc doesn't have malware, just Mcafee, the # given to me was 855-333 5996,

They wanted to charge from $50 to $200. I uninstalled Mcafee scan plus and the

Problem went away. Other members said the same, why the surprise?

• 4. Re: My Real-Time Scanning won't stay on (McAfee Internet Security 2013)
                Peter M

Security Scan Plus isn't an antivirus it's merely a sales gimmick to get people to buy things and is one of those optional extra downloads one has to keep eyes open for when downloading other software, especially Adobe products.

I could have told you to uninstall that if I'd known.

1-855-333-5996 isn't a McAfee number but one of those fly-by-night "Fixit" firms.    Although from their web page they look fairly respectable, but certainly not McAfee.

http://collegemint.com/Mac_email_support.htm

It wasn't McAfee that was trying to rip you off.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/05/13 8:01:14 EDT PM
                • 5. Re: My Real-Time Scanning won't stay on (McAfee Internet Security 2013)

I have this problem also (real-time scanner turning off by itself). It only started to happen after the last update. When will this get fixed?

Message was edited by: sycho on 5/27/13 7:03:52 PM CDT
                  • 6. Re: My Real-Time Scanning won't stay on (McAfee Internet Security 2013)
                    Peter M

Posting to an old thread is not really a good idea as the software has changed a lot in the meanwhile and reasons why things happen change along with it, plus it's not really fair to the original poster.    There is no one reason why such things happen.  One of the main ones is malware, but I would read through the entire thread if I were you - there may be some tips along the way.   If you are satisfied that malware is not the culprit then look at your system, is it up to date in all aspects?  Also remnants of rival software can cause this.  If it isn't any of those then contact Technical Support which is now free of charge to phone as well as using their online chat.

They are linked via Useful Links at the top of this page.  The phone number just posted by another customer is not McAfee support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/05/13 8:17:47 EDT PM
                    • 7. Re: My Real-Time Scanning won't stay on (McAfee Internet Security 2013)
                      Peter M

I forgot to add one of the obvious culprits are Registry Cleaners.   If any of you have used these lately check if they have a restore button.     In my experiencve they invariably will eventually cause many problems such as this.

• 8. Re: My Real-Time Scanning won't stay on (McAfee Internet Security 2013)
                        Peter M

I've branched the latest posts to a new thread out of fairness to the original poster on that first thread.

• 9. Re: My Real-Time Scanning won't stay on (McAfee Internet Security 2013)

I was one of the early posters on the original thread.  The problem went away for us a long time ago - but it has recently returned, with a vengeance.  Something about a recent update caused it to come back, and real-time scanning has been off as a result.  As this laptop is one my wife uses for work very infrequently (a backup to her home-based desktop) we are not sure at which point in time the problem resurfaced.  Most likely it was in late April - early May.  After much frustration we finally got approval from her IT to have the McAfee tech granted remote access.  The problem turned out to be a Windows service that had been stopped as a result of the update (or more likely an interaction of the update with something else on the machine, like a pending Adobe update as those have caused similar issues for us with other software updates).  I do not recall the exact name of the stopped service but it was something to do with "announcer" and was a Mcafee service.  As I use a mac I am unable to check on the exact name, but I am sure that it would be immediately obvious to someone on a windows PC scanning the Services list.  So, anyone with this problem as of May 2013 might want to check that the Mcafee services are all running.  A simple fix but took quite a while to figure it out.

1 2 3 Previous Next