5 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2013 8:21 AM by exbrit

MY BANK DETAILS HELD BY MACAFEE ???????????

Hi, I have just noticed something on my Macafee a/c which is a downright liberty.Macafee has details of my bank account subscription etc. How dare macafee?

I never purchesed my macafee total via Macafee....I bought the disc from Argos !!!  Where did they get my details? The only way i can think of is when i bought protection online via Macafee, but i received an onlline code instead of the disc i wanted. I contacted Macafee and they refunded me no problem. How dare they keep  details of my bank a/c????? And the liberty is i cant even delete my bank details. Well let me tell you, if as much as a penny is taken from my account even though i have NO RENEWEL turn on, I will sue macafee to within an inch of it's life ! As i did not buy from Macafee I am under no obligation, nor have to renew with Macafee, thereforev the terms and conditions re: AUTO Renewal do not apply to me at all.I am legaly within my rights to have my bank details removed from my account. As i cannot remove it myself, another liberty, i fully  expect Macafee to delete my bank details asap. I do hope this is clear.

Regards

p.s THIS MESSAGE IS FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE BUT THERE IS NOWHERE HERE  FOR ME TO POST TO THEM !

PERHAPS A MODERATER WOULD BE KIND ENOUGH TO PASS THIS ON TO THEM

• 1. Re: MY BANK DETAILS HELD BY MACAFEE ???????????
          exbrit

If you use a McAfee product you are automatically bound by McAfee's Terms of Service and whatever Sales Agreement there was at the time you purchased even though it was bought elsewhere.   I assume that Argos passed on  that information to McAfee but we can't ascertain that here.  You are best advised to contact McAfee directly by phone, or online chat if you prefer via this page, and ask them to remove the personal information (which is only visible to you and Mcafee):  http://service.mcafee.com/CustomerService.aspx?lc=2057&sg=CS&pt=1 - it's free of charge.

If you see an email option I advise against that as it's an extremely slow way of getting in touch.  

If auto-renewal is off then it's off believe me.

I have no way of cummunicating this to them other than through the above link so it's best coming from you.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 26/05/13 8:53:47 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: MY BANK DETAILS HELD BY MACAFEE ???????????

I Have already contacted Argos concerning this and they DONT EVER pass details on to Macafee or anyone. As I have already stated, I bought the origional product via \Macafee and my money was refunded as wanted the disc not an online code. THIS is where my bank details were  taken. There was no sale, so my details should NEVER have been kept.

Incredulous !

• 3. Re: MY BANK DETAILS HELD BY MACAFEE ???????????
              exbrit

Fine, then ask McAfee Customer Service to remove them.  As I just amended my post above to say, the details are only visible to you and McAfee Accounting, and by the way, are editable on my account at least, but they can surely do that for you.

I would say this is normal business practise to keep records if offered by a client but they can always be changed and/or erased.

Sorry we have no access to that side here and as it's the weekend, I doubt any staff will be monitoring this section of the forums.

• 4. Re: MY BANK DETAILS HELD BY MACAFEE ???????????

Thank you very much for your help, it is appreciated. While i am aware is is normal business practise to keep customer details, it is not normal practise to take money from an account, for renewal or otherwise, without the account holders permission. The complaints i have read on here re: auto renewals being taken without the a/c holders permission is the reason I do not  want Macafee to hold my bank details.

I shall call customer service on tuesday, after the holiday break

Again thank u for your input

Regards

Maggie b

• 5. Re: MY BANK DETAILS HELD BY MACAFEE ???????????
                  exbrit

I agree but many companies do that unfortunately.   The auto-renewal process is outlined in those terms of sale that we are all supposed to read (and never do if you're like me) but as you discovered, they are quite willing to refund whatever was charged.   If auto-renewal is now turned off, then it wont happen again, but I would certainly endeavour to get the account details expunged.

Good luck Maggie and sorry for the inconvenience.