1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: May 30, 2013 8:21 PM by Ex_Brit Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Unable to Remove: Anti-theft

sorb

So I made a pretty stupid mistake, I installed Intel Anti-Theft on my laptop from 2010, not realizing it wouldn't be compatible. And now it's possible to uninstall. The AT Service is not even set up so there is no file protection going on or anything. When I try to uninstall it it says:

Unable to remove software

We're sorry, there was a problem removing the software. Please try again.

Right, trying again does not help. Stopping the McAfee services or even rebooting into Safe Mode (Windows 7) and remove does not work either.

This is ridiculous. I've lost what little trust I had for McAfee.

• 1. Re: Unable to Remove: Anti-theft
          Ex_Brit

I've given you your own thread as this is a new subject.

By 2010 I assume it's AT version 1.5.  Uninstall instructions are here:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101371

If by any chance it is AT version 2.0, which I doubt,  then see here:  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101466

I have to ask why you would want to install a 3 year-old piece of software though?  That's a recipe for disaster  Is this Windows 7 and service pack 1?

Telephone support numbers for AT:  http://www.intel.com/support/services/anti-theft-svc/sb/CS-032771.htm

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/05/13 2:33:19 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: Unable to Remove: Anti-theft
            sorb

Thanks for the new thread... I didn't say the software is from 2010, I said my laptop is from 2010. So yes it's AT 2.0 but the FAQ is not helpful since I'm doing just that and I get the error message every time.

• 3. Re: Unable to Remove: Anti-theft
              Ex_Brit

Ooops, my mistake, sorry.   Try the AT phone help line then, they should be able to help.

• 4. Re: Unable to Remove: Anti-theft
                sorb

Yeah no...I'm not going to do that. If the purpose of this forum is just to hand out phone numbers that can be found elsewhere then it's pretty much useless. I'm not going to have some random Indian spend hours and hours poking around on my laptop and messing with some third party uninstaller that may or may not mess up my computer and make it worse than it already is.

What I would like McAfee/Intel to do is to have their lazy *** programmers and testers make software that actually works properly and when it does not FIX IT and release an update. Releasing software in this state of function just ain't right.

Message was edited by: sorb on 5/24/13 2:27:34 AM CDT

Message was edited by: sorb on 5/24/13 2:29:24 AM CDT

Message was edited by: sorb on 5/24/13 2:30:09 AM CDT
                • 5. Re: Unable to Remove: Anti-theft
                  Ex_Brit

If software worked perfectly for everyone all the time there would be no need for support or these forums, which by the way are meant to be peer-to-peer support, which is what you are getting, as is the case with most of the competition.  

Others have had striking success with Technical Support, that's what they're there for after all, to help you and it's free after all.

It's your choice.   Calling people names will just get you cut off from this avenue of help if you continue on that tack.  Sorry, not my rules.

I've had support fix things on my machine directly and they did it extremely quickly and efficiently and all they did was that, they didn't look at anything else - I watched them in action on my desktop.

Besides sometimes they need logs and often they can only obtain them that way.

I'm sorry we can't help here, but this is a relatively new product since McAfee took it over from Intel and no Moderators have a machine capable of using it so all we can do is point people to possible solutions or to support.

I've asked for help with this anyway.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/05/13 7:36:34 EDT AM
                  • 6. Re: Unable to Remove: Anti-theft
                    Bragadish Sureshkumar

sorb,

Sorry that you are experiencing problems uninstalling AT product. From your posts, I understand that you haven't Setup AT and couldn't uninstall on your laptop from 2010.

Since AT product can lock at BIOS level, software uninstallation process perform several stringent checks to ensure proper disenrollment. In your case, it is quite possible one such check resulted in a failure and therefore AT software refuse to uninstall.

To help resolve your issue, please provide us with the following details:

1.   Version of the product

2.    Zip of logs located under: C:\ProgramData\McAfee\MCLOGS

3.    From windows run “Regedit”. Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfeeAntiTheftand right-click, then select “Export”. Save it on disk.

Send to  <EDITED OUT> [Please Check your PM]

best

Message was edited by: bragadish on 5/24/13 7:59:31 AM CDT

on 24/05/13 9:05:43 EDT AM

Message was edited by: bragadish on 5/25/13 8:21:35 AM CDT
                    • 7. Re: Unable to Remove: Anti-theft
                      sorb

@Ex_Brit - Did you get Bragadish here? If so thanks! :-)

@Bragadish - Thanks a lot for your reply, I have sent you a mail.

• 8. Re: Unable to Remove: Anti-theft
                        Ex_Brit

He volunteered before I even got my request out, which is great.  Good luck.

• 9. Re: Unable to Remove: Anti-theft
                          kmk

Sorb,

Got the relevant data that you have shared.

We will go through the logs and will get back to you with the possible solution.

best

Kailash

McAfee Team

1 2 Previous Next