Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
919 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2013 5:30 PM by alexn RSS
dmease729 Champion 267 posts since
Jul 22, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

May 21, 2013 5:24 AM

Query on hotfixes included in patch 2 'install component' of patch 3 installer

Hi,

Current environment: ePO4.6.6, endpoint Windows systems all supported OS (except Win8 and Win2k12 - not currently in environment)

Few notes I have made on VSE installs and currently released hotfixes:

- VSE repost patch 3 release date Jan 8 2013.  Installing this on supported OS other than Win8 or Win2k12 installs patch 2.
- HF793781 release date Aud 23 2012.  Is this hotfix automatically included in VSE report patch 3 package, even if patch 2 version is installed (ie has the 'patch 2' version within the 'patch 3' release been updated with this hotfix, or do we need to manually install this hotfix after deploying the patch 3 release to supported OS other than Win8 or Win2k12?)
- HF805660 release date Feb 11 2013 - we will need to install this manually after the VSE deployment
- HF778101 release date Feb 25 2013 - we will need to install this manually after the VSE deployment
- HF838306 release date Mar 25 2013 - looks like an extension update?  Even though we currently have no Win8 or Win2k12 in our environment, I would guess that it wouldnt cause any harm to apply this extension update?  Also, it looks to be a prereq before an upgrade to ePO5

So, key questions:

- For preWin8/Win2k12 systems (ie thoses systems were VSE8.8P2 will be installed when using the P3 installer), do we need to apply HF793781 or is this automatically included in the P2 install portion of the P3 installer?
- Would there be any reason anybody can think of *not* to install HF838306 (even though it is not *currently* applicable in our environment)?  I cant see any issues listed in KB51111 relating to this hotfix.

Community posts checked:
https://community.mcafee.com/message/262748 - not *directly* related as my initial question is whether hotfix HF793781 is included in the P3 install

(when it installs Patch 2) - ie has the 'Patch 2'component also been reposted?
https://community.mcafee.com/message/271346 - a little confused here.  The initial response seems to be that hotfix 778101 is included in the P3

installer even though it was released at a later date...  The second reply by wwarren would look to confirm that the answer to my initial key question

is 'no'?

What I believe to be the answer to key questions:

- Sooooooooo, if we are deploying VSE880LMLRP3 to Windows endpoints other than Win8 or Win2k12, we need to:

Install VSE with above package (this will install VSE8.8 patch 2) -> install hotfixes HF793781,HF805660,HF778101 and HF838306

- no problem with installing hotfix838306 and it is there for the future, so all good

cheers!

UPDATE: HF838306 doesnt appear to be available on download site.  I am assuming this is the case as it is not Mandatory or High Priority?

Message was edited by: dmease729 on 21/05/13 05:24:18 CDT
  • Attila Polinger Veteran 1,161 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009

Hello,

my first note is that a hotfix readme may indicate which version of product it needs to be installed on/tested with. Secondly, any hotfix - in my opinion - checks versions of files to replace and does/should not do nothing when a file to be replaced has a higher version.

In addition, this is also my view that hotfixes and patches could be separately scheduled for publication and hence  this may result in a patch issued on March 10 while a hotfix issued on March 28 or April 9. The reason behind this could be that a  hotfix might need to be tested with more VirusScan versions unlike a patch. So a hotfix issuance date (even after a patch) might not mean more than an issuance date unless specifically noted otherwise (that is: to be installed on top of that patch).

This assumption may also mean that a given bug or issue might be addressed in both the hotfix and the patch without further notice and this could be also a reason why there is no specific information in a hotfix as far as its relation to a nearby patch is concerned.

Hotfix HF793781 as I saw is fix for a certain DAT incompatibility issue in that case could be a one-time specific fix which do not need to be applied even after reinstallation of Virusscan once the DAT (full and incrementla) version goes beyond the ones this hotfix refers to.

Attempting application of the other hotfixes are certainly does not do any harm (see my first note above, too).

These are just my views, or speculations if you like, but I hope these help more or less. Just feel free to challenge (or ignore)  them.

Attila

• alexn Veteran 722 posts since
    Aug 9, 2012
      For preWin8/Win2k12 systems (ie thoses systems were VSE8.8P2 will be installed when using the P3 installer), do we need to apply HF793781 or is this automatically included in the P2 install portion of the P3 installer?

HF is not included in these patches, And now you do not need this at all.

Would there be any reason anybody can think of *not* to install HF838306 (even though it is not *currently* applicable in our environment)?  I cant see any issues listed in KB51111 relating to this hotfix.

You dont need this HF anymore now. But if you do then follow this order. Better is to get off this HF.(VSE 8.8.0.975 requires the following hotfixes to be installed in this order: Hotfix 805660, 778101, 820636, then Hotfix 846582.)

All these HF season is over.

Post Timings: 6.00 AM to 3.00PM PDT

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points