1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2013 11:16 PM by Peacekeeper

External Drive not recognized when plugged in

Hi,

Up till just recently when I plugged in my Seagate External Drive McAfee would alert me that a removable media was detected and did I want to scan it.  Now when I plug that drive in I get no such message.  The drive is recognized by Vista in my computer but McAfee doesn't seem to recognize that a removable media was installed.  It does for my zip drive and it does for my flash/USB sticks but not the lager HD.

thanks

Message was edited by: gmdoran on 5/20/13 6:11:11 AM CDT

Message was edited by: gmdoran on 5/20/13 6:11:55 AM CDT
        • 1. Re: External Drive not recognized when plugged in
          exbrit

Maybe something changed in the software and it only scans if there's new stuff on it...just a thought.

Go into SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real Time Scanning

Click Settings

See if it makes a difference playing with the settings pertaining to "Check removable media drives".

You could also try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds anything wrong and fixes it.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Any changes made to settings may need a reboot to take effect.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/05/13 9:40:24 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: External Drive not recognized when plugged in

It is set for "when I plug in a drive ask me to scan it".  Any other type drive plugged into a usb port prompts that message.  When I plug in my Seagate drive it doesn't.  I'm wondering if there is some size limit on what the Real Time Scanning thinks is a removable device?

Thanks

• 3. Re: External Drive not recognized when plugged in
              exbrit

Try settng that to the last setting in that list and see if that changes anything.  If not then I suggest Technical Support, it's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 4. Re: External Drive not recognized when plugged in

Ex-Brit,  I did as you suggested but I'm not sure what result you expected?  By selecting that option it doesn't ask me to scan any device that gets connected to a USB port.  Putting it back to "when I plug in a drive ask me if I want to scan it." then It does ask for any flash drive....just not a 640gb external drive.  For some reason it doesn't recognize that seagate drive as removable.  But it does recognize it on the OS and I can access it's files just fine.

• 5. Re: External Drive not recognized when plugged in
                  exbrit

Maybe there's been a change in Windows itself that alters the detection, I can't tell.  Best to contact Technical Support to get answers.  If you can access it OK I don't see any problems however.

• 6. Re: External Drive not recognized when plugged in
                    exbrit

By the way I believe that once files are scanned VirusScan wont scan them again unless there are changes.

• 7. Re: External Drive not recognized when plugged in

Ex-Brit...just got done with a chat session.  This is another "small" change in the program.  They removed having it ask to scan a HD when connected, it only will ask to scan a flash drive.  I'm always amazed that McAfee is notorious for taking away some function that their program provided and not telling anyone,  you just find it out.  I would much rather get the program and functions that I paid for for ALL of my subscription.  I can see and understand that .dat files and such for detecting viruses is necessary to update but they should allow me the option of whether or not I want to upgrade to a newer release of the software especially if it changes the features of the program.

Thanks for your help.  I still have not received anymore word on the firewall change.

PS....the files on the drive did change.  I"ve added about 100 files to the drive each week as I update.  It never asks to scan it(as per the program change)...they do say however I can manually scan it.

Message was edited by: gmdoran on 5/21/13 8:40:24 PM CDT
                      • 8. Re: External Drive not recognized when plugged in
                        exbrit

That's interesting.  I never knew that either. 

I will ask about that on our next conference call with McAfee staff, next Monday.

Good luck.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/05/13 6:32:43 EDT AM
                        • 9. Re: External Drive not recognized when plugged in
                          Peacekeeper

Agreed does not ask to scan my 1.5tb external seagate. This on beta 12.6

1 2 Previous Next