9 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2013 12:05 AM by rgc

Permission issue when deploying agent thru ePO

romardy

Hi,

We had a system that having permission issue when trying to deploy McAfee agent from ePo. It says installer do not have permission to access the file path. Attached snapshot show information on machine event log

McAfee error.JPG

Account used already has sufficient privilege to deploy agent on any machine

Any one encounter this issue before?

Thanks

Message was edited by: romardy on 5/19/13 7:49:28 PM CDT

Message was edited by: romardy on 5/19/13 7:51:14 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: Permission issue when deploying agent thru ePO
          petersimmons

To make sure you have the proper permissions, open the following share:

\\machinename\admin$

And you must do that from the ePO server itself. If you can't then you lack the permissions or you've turned off File sharing.

• 2. Re: Permission issue when deploying agent thru ePO
            romardy

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response

I was able to access the machine's admin$ using ePO server and even from my own machine

• 3. Re: Permission issue when deploying agent thru ePO
              • 4. Re: Permission issue when deploying agent thru ePO
                romardy

Hi AJ,

Deployment is thru action - Agent - Deploy agent and account is member of domain admin

Already open a ticket from McAfee and gave me some KB to removed the agent manually and then reinstall

I will get back to this thread for any progress

Thanks

• 5. Re: Permission issue when deploying agent thru ePO

Hi Romardy,

This is more of a Windows Issue, and not McAfee Agent Issue. Please follow the following steps and check and update the Post of the Result.

I reproduced the Issue on my Test Machine and following steps helped me -

Go to the Following Path -

C:\Program Files\McAfee

- Right Click the "Common Framework" Folder, Click on Properties

-On the Security tab, click Everyone.

-Select the Allow checkbox next to Full Control.

-On the Security tab, select the SYSTEM user.

-Select the Allow checkbox next to Full Control.

-Click OK to close the Properties window.

- Now try to Install McAfee Agent using Forceinstall switch and see whether that works or not.

Message was edited by: ajha1 on 21/5/13 8:55:08 AM IST
                  • 6. Re: Permission issue when deploying agent thru ePO
                    romardy

Hi AJ,

I already tried to change the permission on Common Framework folder but it seems the folder doesn't allow to make any changes still saying Access denied.

I think installation failure causes this problem and incomplete installation. Just need to clean up the agent first before we can go on a fresh install

Can't still test the KB that McAfee given me as the machine having problem is on production floor and has different time zone with us.

I'll keep you posted if we succeed or not

Thanks for your input

• 7. Re: Permission issue when deploying agent thru ePO
                      rgc

Hi Romardy,

Thanks for your update...

As per my colleague suggestions, please try to check the permissions issue to install the agent,  if not for testing copy the framepkg.exe from eposerver.

>> Then login the client machine with administrator and copy the framepkg.exe to C drive. and follow the strings as below.

C:\framepkg.exe /forceuninstall

C:\ framepkg.exe /install=agent /forceinstall

But, above steps only helpful , if this is agent issue and if you confirm the logged on user have the permissions to copy files in C:\program files\Mcafee\Commonframework folder.

Moreover, the case opened with McAfee is reassigned to me and I am wating for your update and tried to reach you on number: (630) 284-9470, as I got response as WRONG NUMBER.

>> If possible, please share the direct number to call and take remote for further assistance.

Note: Please confirm this issue for one machine or all the machines and this is new setup?

What is the agent version and patch and epov ersion and patch ?

Please reply back to this post, and moreover, I am checking more information on this error and will update some information as earliest.

Additionally

NOTE: 

Uninstall and reinstall locally using the same permissions you are trying to deploy from epo, If you are cannot install locally using the same permissions then the problem isn't with the deploy as it doesn't even work locally.

Please try this step and share an update to confirm, the issue with the domain credentials or more...........

Regards,

RGC

Message was edited by: rgc on 5/21/13 8:57:44 AM CDT
                      • 8. Re: Permission issue when deploying agent thru ePO
                        romardy

Hi RGC,

Thanks for your response.

Please see below my answer to your questions.

>> If possible, please share the direct number to call and take remote for further assistance.You can email me at romardy.barja@sunpowercorp.com

Note: Please confirm this issue for one machine or all the machines and this is new setup? - one machine only

What is the agent version and patch and epov ersion and patch ? - agent version is 4.6 and epo is 4.6 (we recently upgraded agent to 4.8)

If we can resolve the issue without touching the machine physically or doing any user intervention, it would be highly appreciated as machine is on production line and there we cannot afford to do the uninstallation manually and also we have different time zone on the affacted system

I will try to test the KB article given to me by McAfee support as long as we have given permission to used it. This is not critical on our end as it only affects 1 machine only but we need to ensure we can make the system recognized properly from ePo.

Thanks

• 9. Re: Permission issue when deploying agent thru ePO
                          rgc

Hi Pomardy,

Thanks for your quick response....

Since, this is windows permission issue and moreover without trying locally installation it is difficult to troubleshoot.

This is not issue with agent or EPO....

If you challenges to take remote of the target machine and try installing agent locally, then we will close this case for now.

You can get back to us, if you find some information.

Regards,

RGC