5 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 4:43 AM by exbrit

Anti-virus protection difference between SecurityCenter and McAfee Internet Security?

silverfox99

I've had McAfee SecurityCentre running fine on my Dell laptop for a few years and it's up for renewal soon.  A friend of mine was showing me his new desktop where he's installed Mcafee Internet Security 2013.  Interface looks a bit different from my SecurityCentre, but my question is:  Is the *protection* the same for either product?  Both have Ant-virus, site advisor and anti spam.   I'm not too bothered about how the software looks or the extra (non-av) functions that Internet Security comes with, just mainly interested in good protection and keeping things moving fairly fast on my older laptop (bought 2007) which has 2GB RAM (that's the max it will take on my Vostro 1000 laptop).

Can anyone clarify if any difference in protection (if any) between the two variants?   Mcafee IS was tested recently by AV-Comparatives and got a good test score in catching malware http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php (select Sort: by 'value' to see easily - blocked 99.4%).

I would change to Internet Security if it had better AV protection, but if not will stick with Security Centre.

• 1. Re: Anti-virus protection difference between SecurityCenter and McAfee Internet Security?
          exbrit

SecurityCenter is the name of the desktop user interface (UI) and Internet Security is the name of one of several packaged products that McAfee sells.   However, depending on where your software comes from (ISP, PC maker etc.), the package can also be called SecurityCenter.   That makes it a little confusing at times.

The A/V protection is exactly the same in both.

Yes McAfee is doing quite well in tests lately.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Anti-virus protection difference between SecurityCenter and McAfee Internet Security?
            silverfox99

Thanks.  I also noticed that my SecurityCenter provided by Dell UK (AffID 977-102) is slightly behind in the latest versions of software compared to my friends PC with McAfee Internet Security 2013 on it (AffID = 0), although the DATs are bang up to date, same on both systems showing 7080 today.  Compared to McAfee IS 2013, i'm running SecurityCentre 11.6 (IS=12.1), AV&AS/VS 15.6 (IS=16.1), Firewall 12.6 (IS=13.1), and AntiSpam 12.6 (IS=13.1) although 'Content version' is same at 4584.  Only SiteAdvisor is same software version on both systems at 3.6.0.187

I'm presuming from what you say that these differences only relate to marginal improvements to UI and to engines etc, and not to AV detection/protection capabilities - which should be same for both as both using same DATs?

• 3. Re: Anti-virus protection difference between SecurityCenter and McAfee Internet Security?
              exbrit

The daily updates carry through to everyone but those 3rd party "resellers" such as Dell, HP, some ISP's etc. often will hang on to upgrades for quite some time and in rare cases never pass them on.  Unfortunately there isn't much McAfee can do about that.

Once you upgrade to MSC v12.1 and above you'll notice a difference.  It no longer uses DAT;s but actual engine updates instead.

• 4. Re: Anti-virus protection difference between SecurityCenter and McAfee Internet Security?
                silverfox99

Just for my own interest i uninstalled my Dell supplied McAfee Security Center and downloaded McAfee Internet Security trial, updated, carried out full scan and played about a bit for a couple of days to compare.  The Dell supplied older version is faster compared to latest IS.  Internet Security seems to take a while to load at boot, noticably slows down browsing (on IE9), causes browser 'hangs'/long pauses during page loading, doesn't cope with scripts very well (several pop ups 'a script is taking a long time to load do you wish to continue running script' etc,  and i observed CPU spikes. 

I have uninstalled the IS trial and reinstalled to MCafee SC from Dell (running McAfee removal tool & pre-install tool inbetween).  Of course many people will have a different, better experience with IS.  My laptop is running Vista with only 2GB RAM, so it could be that it just struggles a bit to cope with the latest version with the new UI and different engines etc.

Message was edited by: silverfox99 on 23/05/13 03:55:52 CDT
                • 5. Re: Anti-virus protection difference between SecurityCenter and McAfee Internet Security?
                  exbrit

These days 2gb of RAM is about the minimum I would say, although officially it's fine.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/05/13 5:43:44 EDT AM