Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2436 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2013 12:01 PM by alexn RSS
alexn Veteran 722 posts since
Aug 9, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

May 15, 2013 4:52 PM

EPO 5.0 console is unavailable .

I changed my authentication mode on ePOP 5.0 to MIXD created a new user.

And today I saw my event parser service was down and i am not having epo console even the config page ia not comming up although Aplication and apache services are up.

Anyone could tell how can I have http://server :8443:/core/config page ant change user or password here so my Event parser could be started.(I also create a DB snapshot from ePO 5.0 Console and I blve it doesnt cause this issue)

This is Event parser log.

ePOData_Connection.cpp(568): COM Error 0x80040E4D, source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server, desc=Login failed for user 'alexstewart'., msg=IDispatch error #3149

20130515142732 E #04948 EPODAL   ePOData_Connection.cpp(583): COM Error 0x80040E4D, source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server, desc=Login failed for user 'alexstewart'., msg=IDispatch error #3149

20130515142732 E #04948 EPODAL   ePOData_Connection.cpp(327): COM Error 0x80040E4D, source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server, desc=Login failed for user 'alexstewart'., msg=IDispatch error #3149

20130515142732 E #04948 EPODAL   ePOData_Connection.cpp(352): Error 0x80040E4D returned from credentials callback. Database NOT available

20130515142732 E #04948 EVNTPRSR D:\EPO3\BUILD\epo\dev\src\server\include\ePOData.inl(319): Database initialization: Failed (hr=0x80040E4D).

20130515142732 E #04948 EVNTPRSR Failed to initialize database layer. Cannot continue.

20130515142732 I #04948 EVNTPRSR EventParser Stopped.

20130515142732 I #04948 EVNTPRSR Cleaning up Server...

Post Timings: 6.00 AM to 3.00PM PDT
  • ajha1 Newcomer 32 posts since
    Dec 25, 2012
    1. May 15, 2013 8:29 PM (in response to alexn)
    Re: EPO 5.0 console is unavailable .

Hi alexn,

If you could share the Orion.log then it would be easy for us to give you any suggestion, However what you can do is -

Stop all the McAfee EPO Services.

Go to <EPO Installation Path>\server\conf\orion\

Copy db.properties to another location (If something goes bad then you can copy it back )

Then go to <EPO Installation Path>\server\conf\orion\, open db.properties using a text editior (notepad), remove the DB Instance name and Encypted password.

Save the File.

Start Only McAFee EPO Application Service and try to access https://localhost:8443/core/config page and if you are able to access it then enter the required credentials and click on Test Connection.

Assuming that you have entered the correct credentials,If test connection is successfulll, Click on Apply.

Restart the Application Service and Start Other two McAfee EPO Service and try to login and update the post there is any issues.

Message was edited by: ajha1 on 16/5/13 6:59:19 AM IST

Regards,

AJ

• ajha1 Newcomer 32 posts since
    Dec 25, 2012
    3. May 16, 2013 9:25 AM (in response to alexn)

The Error is "FATAL [main] core.OrionCore   - killing server. reason = Failed to read the server's multi-tenant mode property (is there a multi.tenant.mode record in the OrionServerProperties table?)"

I am aware of the issue, let me check my notes and revert to you

Regards,

AJ

• JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,868 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    6. May 16, 2013 10:41 AM (in response to alexn)

This error is slightly misleading - it's a result of the main issue, which is a failure to authenticate to SQL. The way that ePO 5.0 responds when it can't access the DB is different compared to previous versions, which has the side-effect of making the config-auth page unavailable. (This will be fixed in the next patch.)

The way round this is to manually edit the db.properties file (which is what the config-auth page does.) Take a backup copy of the file and then open it in a text editor.

• db.user.name  is the name of the account ePO will use to connect to SQL.
    • db.user.domain indicates if ePO is using Windows or SQL authentication: if blank, it's using SQL: otherwise this is the name of the domain that will be used for Windows authentication.
    • db.user.passwd.encrypted.ex is the password hash for the account.

Change db.user.passwd.encrypted.ex to db.user.passwd and enter the password in plain text. So for example if the password was "foobar", the entry might look like this:

db.user.passwd.encrypted.ex=WiZy6IX3X4iLqq6AljJWHA\=\=

You would change it to:

db.user.passwd=foobar

Save and close the file, and start the application server service. (Don't start the other ePO services yet.) Once started, go to the config-auth page and re-enter the password, and test the connection. Assuming the test passes, click Save, which will save the hash back to the db.properties file. You can then start the other services.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points