4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2013 9:30 PM by tivik

VirusScan Enterprise modules refuse to enable(On-access scanner, access protection, buffer...)

The computer in question is my cousin's, as I have a different Anti-Malware product on mine.

The On-Access Scanner, Access Protection, and Buffer Overflow Protection Modules are disabled, and will not enable when the option is selected from the VirusScan Console.

There is no error message or failure response from the program, and the option isn't grayed out.

The same behavior occurs when I try to manually run a Full Scan

'Enable On-Access Scanning on Startup' option is checked

---------------------------------------------

When I looked into Mcafee's logs, it notes that the On-Access Scanner has been consistently disabled ever since Febuary 2012, approx. when the computer was undergoing maintenence by a friend of my cousin,(he was the one that installed VirusScan Enterprise.)

I scanned the system offline using an outdated  Avira Rescue System Disk(due to network issues it cant find the update server) and found the APPL/KILLAPP.A and  Adware/Adware.Gen file. These have been renamed.

The Full Scan Log last reports running in March. The settings were configured so that it wouldn't run on a schedule.

I was able to run a manual update, with new files being installed, and yet the same behavior persists.

--------------------------------------------

This computer has had multiple Malware Infections in the past.

Does Mcafee disable features when the subscription runs out, or is this just the result of Malware?

-VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.8- (about page after update)

Anti-virus License Type:                                                  licensed

Scan Engine Version:                                                     5400.1158

DAT Version:                                                                      6740.0000

DAT Created on:                                                               June 12, 2012

Number of signatures in extra.dat:                               None

Names of threats that extra.dat can detect:                 None

Buffer Overflow and Access Protection DAT Version: 647

Installed Patches:                                                              None

Installed Modules:                                                               Note

• 1. Re: VirusScan Enterprise modules refuse to enable(On-access scanner, access protection, buffer...)
          pato

As far as I know it can't disable if a subscription runs out. What you could try is to install the latest Patch. But I'd rather suggest to uninstall it completely first, then run a Virus Scan with an uptodate scanner (you could use an online one) and afterwards reinstall Mcafee.

Some viruses tend to disable antivirus products so that they can run unhindered.

Message was edited by: pato on 5/15/13 1:50:48 AM CDT
          • 2. Re: VirusScan Enterprise modules refuse to enable(On-access scanner, access protection, buffer...)
            alexn

McAfee does not disable features at all when subscription run out.

Go into services.msc and check for McShield service. Restart the services. and then try enable OAS scanning.

%deflogdir%  Send logs from this location if it doesnt work.

Alex McAfee Champ

Message was edited by: alexn on 5/15/13 12:05:46 PM CDT
            • 3. Re: VirusScan Enterprise modules refuse to enable(On-access scanner, access protection, buffer...)

I tried both of your suggestions, but the issue still wasn't resloved. I had manually updated Mcafee shortly before my original post, and had earlier used the Bitdefender and ESET online scanners. Bitdefender didnt find any malware and ESET failed in its install process somehow (i forgot how). Meanwhile manually restarting the Mcafee services from MMC failed with the message "The service did not respond in a timely fashion". 

In an intrest to fix this problem ASAP i decided to just replace Mcafee with another antivirus. So now the replacement antivirus programs also have the same problem.

After uninstalling Mcafee completely I installed Avira Free.The installation completed but i was unable to open Avira's control panel or run a scan.From watching Task manager as I sent the run command, it looked like the process didnt even start.

After uninstalling Avira, i then tried Avast Free. Same exact problem as Avira.

Ditto with Microsoft Security Essentials.

I suspect her pc has a rootkit that w/ a blacklist of Antivirus products, So i plan on just backing up her files and reinstalling windows.

• 4. Re: VirusScan Enterprise modules refuse to enable(On-access scanner, access protection, buffer...)

Ok, i believe Mcafee was being blocked by the "Troj/ExpJS-HR" malware. After Sophos free scanner had found and removed it I was able to get Avira to perform a Scan.

I haven't been able to find much information about this malware, Sophos own site has just a stub.