1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 12:16 AM by piosk

upgrade of ePO from 4.0 to 4.5

piosk

Hi

I finally decided to make that step and I cant.

Trying to make it work on my machine copied to virtualbox and still have problems.

my start configuration was:

OS: windows 2003 standard (Polish) with Domain Controller function -(I know its not recommeded but that state I acquired when hired)

SQL: MS sql server 2000

ePO: 4.0 patch7

first my task was to migrate SQL to 2005 EE which i made succesfully with some problems.

then i made snapshot of machine and tried installing EPO4.5 with patch5 and no success at all.

it finish with error message :

1: 10:35:25 ePO450CALog: FAILURE: In LaunchAppAndWait while trying to run the following program:

"C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\jre\bin\java.exe"

Return code: 1

Error Message: Niepoprawna funkcja.

(((in english:

1: FAILURE: In LaunchAppAndWait while trying to run the following program:

Error Message: Incorrect function.

Error message from the Core-install.log:

InstallShield xx:xx:xx: Setup aborted:)))

Tried all of solutions from

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60569

-including password change to not containing extraorginal characters,

-setting local accounts for services

-deinstalling Microsoft patch KB956572

-enabling in registry 8.3 naming conventionhanging registry to

and still no success.

Please help anyone cause I dont have any ideas more to explore

• 1. Re: upgrade of ePO from 4.0 to 4.5
          Attila Polinger

Hello,

please attach the content (zipped) of McAfeeLogs folder from the ePO server (under %TEMP%) so we can take a look.

Thank you.

Attila

• 2. Re: upgrade of ePO from 4.0 to 4.5
            Don_Martin

Hello,

I rather would suggest to do the inplace Upgrade, or migrating, to Version ePO 4.6.x. ePO 4.5 is End of Life with 31th of december this year: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB76892

• 3. Re: upgrade of ePO from 4.0 to 4.5
              alexn

I rather would suggest you to get a new 64 bit box install windows 2008

And install ePO 5.0m all over again it would take less time and effort as compare to your 4.0P7 issue.

I will assist you more if you have any interest in it.

• 4. Re: upgrade of ePO from 4.0 to 4.5
                piosk

I attached compressed logs (except tomcat because it was very large)

PS. I tried to install 4.5 without patch , now I would try 4.6

• 5. Re: upgrade of ePO from 4.0 to 4.5
                  Attila Polinger

Hi,

I think the actual error message is this:

ErrorString=FAILURE: In LaunchAppAndWait while trying to run the following program:
                  "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\Installer\Core\install.bat"

CustomAction: MerMod_RunOrionANTInstaller

which leads to assume that this article might be helpful to you:

http://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB74107&actp=search&viewloc ale=en_US&searchid=1368600760237

Please try this and tell us how it went. Please note that this article applies for ePO 4.5 upgrade as it is stated therein so.

Attila

• 6. Re: upgrade of ePO from 4.0 to 4.5
                    piosk

Hallo again - still no success

I did updated server with up to date. then deinstalled MS patch described in MS KB956572 or MCAFEE KB66643

then run upgrade again

error message :

[ErrorLog]

ErrorString=FAILURE: In LaunchAppAndWait while trying to run the following program:

ActionName=Prod_InstallEpoCore

Task=Checking in epo

logs attached

• 7. Re: upgrade of ePO from 4.0 to 4.5
                      Attila Polinger

Hi,

thanks.

I think your primary filegroup may be full as this is indicated by the actual error during an extension checkin in orion.log:

BUILD FAILED

C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\EPOLIC~1\server\extensions\installed\EPOCore\4.5.5.1188\insta ll.xml:105: java.sql.SQLException: Could not allocate space for object 'dbo.EPOEvents'.'PK_EPOEvents_AutoID' in database 'ePO4_ANTYVIR' because the 'PRIMARY' filegroup is full. Create disk space by deleting unneeded files, dropping objects in the filegroup, adding additional files to the filegroup, or setting autogrowth on for existing files in the filegroup.

Attila

P.S: uninstalling the MS security patch might not have been necessary as the McAfee article applies to ePO 4.0 Patch5 install failure. Strictly speaking, your upgrade to ePO 4.5 P5 might use a newer upgrade software that might have made the uninstall of this MS patch unnecessary - anyway it would have been worth a try running the installer leaving this MS security patch in place...

• 8. Re: upgrade of ePO from 4.0 to 4.5
                        piosk

I would try that next time

right now I'm trying to get rid of some events to make database less in size then shrink it

- and have question here cause sql 2005 ee hit database limit of 4GB , now i have delete events sql running

when i look at files size mdf is about 4GB and ldf  over 16GB

does it make sense to wait for completion of sql ?

• 9. Re: upgrade of ePO from 4.0 to 4.5
                          alexn

Hi Piosk,

Please enable 8.3 naming convention and follow this:

The Tomcat service requires the 8.3 naming convention, which must remain enabled for Tomcat to function properly.

• The following information is intended for System Administrators. Registry modifications are irreversible and could cause system failure if done incorrectly.
                          • Before proceeding, McAfee strongly recommends backing up your registry and understanding the restore process. For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986.
                          • Do not run a .REG file that is not confirmed to be a genuine registry import file.

The 8.3 naming convention must be enabled on the server when extended characters exist in the installation paths.

NOTE:
                          Installation to a path that failed before 8.3 naming was enabled will still fail to that same path. Point the installation to a new directory path because 8.3 naming support is added to that path by default when enabled.

To enable the 8.3 naming convention:

Click Start, Run, type regedit and click OK.

Navigate to and select the following registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]

In the right pane, right-click NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation, and select Properties.

Modify the Value data from 1 to 0.

NOTE: On a Windows 2008 server the default value is 2, and you have to change it to 0.

Restart your computer.

Install ePO 4.x to a new directory.

1 2 Previous Next