1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2013 8:18 PM by Peter M

McAfee removal tool

I've passed on my laptop to a relative who wants to replace McAfee with some other anti-malware suite and asked me to remove McAfee Internet Security from the laptop. After removing it with the Control Panel removal tool I also ran the McAfee removal utility to make sure all remnants of McAfee were gone. The laptop now looks clean of it except one sticky option among the "Notification Area Icons": down at the right side of the task bar. It shows an icon entry that's named "mcagent.exe" with the usual 3 different options: Show icon and notifications, Hide icon and notifications, and Only show notifications.

Since McAfee has been uninstalled from the PC, this icon entry should also be gone, but it is still there. Has anybody figured it out how to remove it?

To illustrate that mcagent.exe entry for better understanding what I am writing about, I attached a snap shot of that screen below.

• 1. Re: McAfee removal tool
          Peter M

Are you sure you uninstalled all McAfee items from Control Panel and ran the latest version of MCPR from the support website (or the link under Useful Links at the top of this page)?   Also note that MCPR only removes regular home versions of the software, none of the Enterprise software.

Perhaps this was a very old version of the software and the tool is not removing all of it because of that.

The only other thing to do I guess would be the registry cleanup method:

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit  and click OK.  In Windows 8 it's easiest just to click the Windows key + R simultaneously.

A  page  should open with the top left hand corner looking something like this:

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-145517-8112/285-187/Regedit.jpg

if for some   reason it's expanded, collapse it and then highlight My Computer   (Computer in Vista/Windows 7/8).

Go to File tab and click "Export" and send all of the   registry to your desktop. This is in case something goes wrong. It can   then be rebuilt by simply right-clicking that desktop item and selecting Merge.

Now click   the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "McAfee" (minus the "") then click   "Find next" (or hit the enter key).

Whatever is found, right-click and  delete.

Hit  your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are gone.   It can take a long time if a lot of McAfee components were oroginally installed and the MCPR removal tool (Useful Links at top of this page) didn't work for some reason.

If one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and   right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself permission.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/05/13 3:08:26 EDT PM
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: McAfee removal tool

Thanks for the reply but I feel pretty uncomfortable making those Reg edits, even though I've done them before on Win XP and 7. The problem is here that the Find command makes a hit on several instances on McAfee entries which are either in the left column or in the right. You did not indicate what to do with the red column entry when the hit was on the right. Like here for instance:

RegEd1.GIF

Or like here:

RegEd4.GIF

BTW, it's a Win 8 Lenovo laptop that came preinstalled with McAfee and I used the latest copy of MCPR from the McAfee web site.

• 3. Re: McAfee removal tool
              Peter M

Well I would simply highlight all the entries on the right and hit the delete button.

Or

If there is a clear reference to an entire section labelled McAfee on the left, delete it and all the entries go at once.

• 4. Re: McAfee removal tool
                Peter M

If you are really unsure, Technical Support is free of charge by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 5. Re: McAfee removal tool

Well, I've gone ahead with the RegEdit and there was a ton of McAfee entries I deleted. I wonder what that McAfee removal tool is good for if I still have to make so many fixes in the Registry? However, one particular entry could not be deleted. It looks like the one that keeps that mcagent.exe entry in the Notification Area. See the relevant snippet:

RegEd8.GIF

Maybe I should delete the PromotedIcon1 entry in the left column instead of that Path entry on the right?

• 6. Re: McAfee removal tool
                    Peter M

Maybe you didn't have the standard installation.  MCPR is pretty good at removing normally.   You'll have to contact  Technical Support as I said earlier.

• 7. Re: McAfee removal tool

I don't know what standard installation means. It came preinstalled with a pretty recent Lenovo laptop. Anyway, I am uncomfortable in contacting your Tech Support to help me get rid off their own product. That's counterintuitive.

• 8. Re: McAfee removal tool
                        Peter M

What I meant was there must be something odd or something must have corrupted the installation to cause the incomplete removal.

Personally I've done the registry removal method before and never had anything leftover so it's up to you, Technical Support are there to help you, not hinder you.

• 9. Re: McAfee removal tool

When I booted up this morning, the stale icon was gone from the Notification Area without me doing anything else. But that single sticky McAfee "Path" value is still in the Registry and though it cannot be deleted, it doesn't really affect me any way. So I just leave it there and consider this issue closed. I don't want to start another long run-around with your Tech Support guys. This was enough.

1 2 Previous Next