5 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2013 5:34 AM by bnyman

Upgrade from 4.6.2 to 4.6.6 - changing database collation type

bnyman

Hi All,

Customer has got ePO 4.6.2 installed (running fine), the database of the installed ePO currently is using SQL_Modern_Spanish_CI_AI. He is trying to upgrade ePO from current version to 4.6.6 and has contacted support and been advised that he need to change the collation type to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS. Rerred to microsoft article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-GB/library/ms175835.aspx#SSMSProcedure in order to change the collation of current installed database, when trying to do this he got a lot of dependencies errors (see screenshot attached).

Based article KB73717 - ePolicy Orchestrator 4.x and 5.0 supported SQL collation types, from my understanding (please correct me if I am wrong) it support all collation type with the two SQL collation properties: "Case Insensitivry (CI) and Full ASCII character set suport. This included in all Unidcode based character sets".

From the above, can someone help me if the current installed collation SQL_Modern_Spanish_CI_AI does support the full ASCII character set?.

Your input is highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Upgrade from 4.6.2 to 4.6.6 - changing database collation type
          alexn

I think to perform this operation SQL needs to Lock DB first and if it cant it will show you such exceptions.The reason why SQL cant Lock DB could be the Epo server connected with it.So I think you should try stopping all ePO server services.

• 2. Re: Upgrade from 4.6.2 to 4.6.6 - changing database collation type
            bnyman

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply.

We did stopped the services for ePolicy Ochestrator before changing the collation type.

• 3. Re: Upgrade from 4.6.2 to 4.6.6 - changing database collation type
              alexn

These  are TWO SQL collation properties that a collation must have to be compatible wityh ePO. EPo is compatible with many Collations types .Above mentioned Collation type is just default.

If you are using Spainsh Collation and you have never been in any issue then I dont think so that it is something like order from McAfee to only have that collation type.

I woud Suggest you go ahead with that and I belive you will not face any issue with this upgrade.

• Case Insensitivity (CI)
              • Full ASCII character set support. This is included in all Unicode based character sets
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Upgrade from 4.6.2 to 4.6.6 - changing database collation type

Hi bnyman,

while upgrading the ePO to the new patch, was the customer having issues during the installation ?

The SQL collation of the SQL Server must match the collation of the ePO database. When you try to change the collation of a user database, know that there is the potential for collation conflicts when queries in the database access temporary tables. i'm not sure if you will be able to change the collation of the database and you might need to Reinstall the SQL server and select SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS collation.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Upgrade from 4.6.2 to 4.6.6 - changing database collation type
                  bnyman

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for your reply.

I have advised customer to go ahead with the upgrade, if there is an issue with the upgrade in regards to the collation type, then to install ePO with a new database with the correct collation, article KB73717 . Also explained the potential problem with existing collation if any system is running on  OS with a  double-byte character. Customer has agreed for this case to be closed.