Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1159 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 9, 2013 2:01 PM by sliedl RSS
fdamien Newcomer 10 posts since
May 9, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 9, 2013 1:06 AM

Sidewinder as a reverse proxy

Hi All,

Please advise if Sidewinder can be used as a reverse proxy, if it's not the case, is there any plan to add this feature to the firewall in the near future?

• PhilM Champion 528 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    1. May 9, 2013 2:01 AM (in response to fdamien)
    Re: Sidewinder as a reverse proxy

You'll probably get a more authoratitive answer from one of the McAfee guys on this forum, but I guess it depends what you mean by reverse proxy.

If you are speaking about caching, then I don't think so. The Squid caching proxy service was retired when version 7 came out.

But, the HTTP and HTTPS services are sill transparent proxies in essence - because there is no direct contact between the client and the server. If you use these services in an inbound rule you will ensure that the traffic using this rule adheres to the appropriate protocol standard and you can apply an application defense definition to the rule which will allow you to govern exactly how the protocol behaves. So if there's anything, which is otherwise legitimate within the protocol, which you don't want external users to do, you can configure the application defense in such a way that these elements are disabled.

-Phil.

• gooru4speed Apprentice 130 posts since
    Jul 4, 2009
    3. May 9, 2013 7:02 AM (in response to fdamien)

fdamien, I don´t really know the answer about McAfee Firewall but I think the right solution for your customer is McAfee Web Gateway. It works as reverse proxy and it is an oportunity to spread the offer to your customer, the account manager will love you for sure

Julio.

• gooru4speed Apprentice 130 posts since
    Jul 4, 2009
    5. May 9, 2013 1:56 PM (in response to fdamien)

I think you'll find this link useful:

https://community.mcafee.com/community/business/email_web/webgateway/blog/2011/0 1/03/mwg-702-reverse-proxy

• sliedl McAfee SME 535 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    6. May 9, 2013 2:01 PM (in response to fdamien)

The firewall can terminate incoming connections to webservers, it can do SSL-offloading, it has basic load-sharing (not balancing).

I imagine by 'reverse proxy' you mean a proxy for external connections to come inbound (vs. proxying outbound connections).  If so, yes, the firewall is a reverse proxy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points