Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2344 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2013 1:52 PM by cshoe RSS
copea Newcomer 2 posts since
May 2, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 8, 2013 12:13 PM

Updating and Upgrading 8.7i 5400 Engine

I'm updating 30 machines and 6 Windows 2008R2 Servers. The client machines are at 8.7i 5400 engine with Patch 2 without ePO, and on a closed network (no internet access).  What updates shall I do first?  The goal is to bring the engine to 8.8 version.  Unfortunately, my position was empty for awhile and certain duties went lacking.  This happened to be one of them.  So what steps shall I take first?

1.  I read on the site that I have to install Patch 4, before I can do Patch 5 and Hotfix.

2.  After step 1, I can install Patch 5 and Hotfix 643440, which will update the engine to 5600.

3.  Upgrade to 8.8 engine

4.  Then install the current .SDAT file.

Are the steps above correct, and do I need to push each step separately to the clients?  If we decide to use ePO 4.5, would the steps change or do I use ePO to push them separately as well?

Thanks for the help!

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,599 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010
    1. May 11, 2013 9:56 AM (in response to copea)
    Re: Updating and Upgrading 8.7i 5400 Engine

Moved from the Consumer Help section to Business / Endpoint Security / VirusScan Enterprise for attention.

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please
  • mbauman8 Apprentice 59 posts since
    Feb 17, 2013
    2. May 11, 2013 11:06 AM (in response to Hayton)

hi copea

I think you mix all up

scanengine is part of any vse

vse88 has maximum of patch level 3

to update all to the newest vse version just:

=====

download the newest sources from mcafee download page.

copy them to the clients

execute setup.exe

when finised:

Then install the current .SDAT file.

=====

wait until all is done.

this will update all to curent version ...

if you want to update the scanengine (5600) you can download it at mcafee security dowload website and execute it localy as well.

tray it on a singel system first ....

good tray

• rmetzger Champion 567 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    3. May 12, 2013 9:06 PM (in response to copea)

copea wrote:

I'm updating 30 machines and 6 Windows 2008R2 Servers. The client machines are at 8.7i 5400 engine with Patch 2 without ePO, and on a closed network (no internet access).  What updates shall I do first?  The goal is to bring the engine to 8.8 version.  Unfortunately, my position was empty for awhile and certain duties went lacking.  This happened to be one of them.  So what steps shall I take first?

1.  I read on the site that I have to install Patch 4, before I can do Patch 5 and Hotfix.

2.  After step 1, I can install Patch 5 and Hotfix 643440, which will update the engine to 5600.

3.  Upgrade to 8.8 engine

4.  Then install the current .SDAT file.

Are the steps above correct, and do I need to push each step separately to the clients?  If we decide to use ePO 4.5, would the steps change or do I use ePO to push them separately as well?

Thanks for the help!

Well 36 nodes can be brought up to VSE v8.8 with or without ePO. However, Engine 5600 will require ePO to implement since a .exe engine update is not available today.

Several methods exist, but I would not spend much time updating VSE v8.7i prior to the final update to VSE v8.8. The latest version of VSE v8.8 is Patch 2, or Patch 3 exclusively for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.

Using your grant number, download the VSE v8.8 with Patch 2.

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/downloads.aspx

Transfer these files to a clean flash drive or CD so that you can use them on your isolated network.

The download will be a .zip file and contain the files needed to run a basic setup of VSE v8.8. Running Setup.exe will Upgrade the existing VSE v8.7i directly to VSE v8.8 SP2, using the currently install DAT version and 5400 engine.

If you have one workstation running Windows XP, you can do this on the Windows XP system, then install McAfee Installation Designer (MID for VSE v8.8) on this system. Once installed this can be used to create a base install with all base settings that were in place on this Windows XP system. You will also need the latest sdat.zip files to include with this image.

Currently, the 5600 engine is only installable via ePO. If that is something you feel you need to do, I would suggest ePO v4.6 or the latest v5.0. Again download these using your grant number. ePO running on an Internet isolated network limits some of the value that ePO brings to the table, such as controlling DAT updates, etc. Maybe think about placing the ePO server on the Internet, with a second network card to provide access and updates to the 'Isolated network.' Just a thought.

Good luck,

Ron Metzger

• rmetzger Champion 567 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    5. May 14, 2013 8:40 PM (in response to copea)

Your welcome, and post back with any questions you come up with.

Ron Metzger

• cshoe Newcomer 1 posts since
    Jul 25, 2008
    6. Jun 4, 2013 1:52 PM (in response to copea)

Be nice if the readme for the 5600 engine download under INSTALLATION said how to install it.

I see above there is  no .exe available and has to be done via ePO.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points