3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2013 3:38 PM by Peacekeeper

Windows Firewall is disabled, so McAfee Firewall is also disabled

Hi all,

I am having a lot of trouble here...

I never had a virus, ever on my computer. Been with McAfee for years since 2006 and yesterday I downloaded a book to read.

Well this morning fun things happened. First McAfee was popping up a lot of messages that some Trojans want internet access. I blocked access obviously. A few mins later a virus known as "System Care Antivirus" attacked my computer. It disabled Firefox and McAfee of course. I was upset because I can't believe McAfee Virus Scan was not able to detect let alone let the virus unleash it's fury on my computer.

I went to Safe Mode, McAfee was unable to detect the virus. I Googled this virus and was able to remove it with "Malwarebyte Anti-Malware". It got the nasty little virus and deleted it. I also ran the program again on normal mode to make sure it's gone. Well it is gone so as it seems.... Windows Firewall is disabled.

When I try to use "Use Recommened Settings" to turn Windows Firewall on I get: Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings Error code 0x80070424.

I did some research online...  have ran Microsoft Malicious Removal Tool, TDSSKiller from Kaspersky Lab, and HitmanPro... all came NEGATIVE. So, I am trying to be computer litarate.... I really want my windows firewall back on so McAfee can start working too. Oh and I did go to Services on my computer and I do not see Windows Firewall running just in case I have to make sure it's "started" and "automatic".

I am running on 32-bit Windows Seven Home Basic on HP Pavilion DM 1200 series laptop.

Thanks