Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
678 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2013 9:08 PM by vicetrax RSS
vicetrax Newcomer 2 posts since
May 3, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2013 6:13 PM

HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MALWARE THAT MAKES NO MCAFEE PROGRAM WORK

Hi,

i'm here for help to solve a problem about a malware in my PC. Today i tried to open the mcafee security center and a window apearead that said "McAfee Security Center has stopped working", i tried many other McAfee programs (Stinger, Security Scan Plus and others) and it happened the same with all of them, I installed SuperAntiMalware and it detected almost 400 threats, which i deleted or put in quarantine. I tried everything that i found in this community, but nothing worked. I tried even to reinstall McAfee, but i wasn't even able to uninstall, because, as i said before, no mcafee program works. I thought it could be something like "MySearchToolbar", which i eliminated a weeks ago and as i've read, it contains a malware.

Surely the malware attacks all the McAfee Programs, so it has no sense to use a McAfee program to delete it and that's why i'm here. I need help from you guys to find the way to delete the malware that isn't a mcafee program or something like that.

Thanks,

Vicente

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,590 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010

Some advanced malware programs have the ability to kill or disable anti-virus programs. It's one of the first things they do once they start running. If you've got one of those I doubt whether SuperAntiSpyware by itself is enough to clear the infection.

Have you tried using System Restore to get a working configuration from before this happened? That should be the first thing to try. If it works you may need to update Windows, McAfee and any other third-party programs that have had recent upgrades (I'm mainly thinking of Java). Whether it's fully successful or not you should then run a couple of scans from other vendors just to see if they find anything. I prefer Microsoft's Live Safety Scanner and Malwarebytes Free; others have their own preferences.

If Malwarebytes is blocked by malware they have a free tool called Chameleon (which I've never had to use so can't give advice about) - see this page for details.

If either of the above 3rd-party programs detect an infection it would help us to know what it was - they'll have their own names for it. Anything that can disable an AV program needs to be found and if possible trapped so McAfee can analyse it. If they don't find anything we'll have to look at other possibilities - a messed-up McAfee installation is of course one of them.

Still, try those steps and let us know how successful they are.

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points