Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
823 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: May 15, 2013 12:13 PM by jnagol RSS
ktang Newcomer 2 posts since
May 3, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

May 3, 2013 11:56 AM

VirusScan Enterprise Threat handled?: False

Hello community members,

My ePO server sent me an e-mail stating that VirusScan Enterprise succesfully cleaned and deleted a malware file detected on a pc. However, about 2 minutes later, I received a second e-mail from ePO stating that the same detected malware file was not successfully cleaned. A follow up of the infected pc shows that the latter is true.  I know that AV isn't 100% effective, but does any one know why this happens?  I'm hoping that there is plausible reason for this so I don't lose faith in McAfee.

Thanks,

ktang

• Attila Polinger Veteran 1,161 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    1. May 7, 2013 4:45 AM (in response to ktang)
    Re: VirusScan Enterprise Threat handled?: False

Hi,

Has this detection occurred on the same PC or different PCs? What was its name exactly?

It can happen that the same malware is differently handled, just imagine a case when one copy of it is in a "sleeping" state  and the other is in an active state (in the latter case chances are the files to be deleted are not available for VirusScan for write access, etc.).

Attila

• Attila Polinger Veteran 1,161 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009
    3. May 10, 2013 2:17 AM (in response to ktang)

Hello,

Do you happen to have the emails (or screenshots of them) and attach it to this thread?

I think cleaning and deleting cannot occur on a single file, just either of them. I'm also wondering if this detection with two outcomes occurred on two separate files (you stated this happened during an on-demand scan)...one of which might have been in use during that scan.

Attila

• jnagol Newcomer 4 posts since
    Feb 2, 2009
    4. May 15, 2013 12:13 PM (in response to ktang)

One posibility....After it was deleted, the system still required a reboot

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points