1 Reply Latest reply on May 2, 2013 10:47 AM by alexn

Hidden objects attached to my cookies?

As I started a demand scan on my workstation this morning, I noted that our Enterprise 8.7 software had detected 3 files in my cookies folder that were encrypted.

Here are the lines from the scan.log file:

5/2/2013    9:48:28 AM    Not scanned (The file is encrypted)     brownd1    ODS    c:\documents and settings\brownd1\cookies\3t7nlf7w.txt\00000771.ie   

5/2/2013    9:48:29 AM    Not scanned (The file is encrypted)     brownd1    ODS    c:\documents and settings\brownd1\cookies\qrctjtpk.txt\00000318.ie   

5/2/2013    9:48:29 AM    Not scanned (The file is encrypted)     brownd1    ODS    c:\documents and settings\brownd1\cookies\ys0294fo.txt\00000281.ie   

When I go to my cookies folder, I see the three files referenced, but I do NOT see anything like the '00000711.ie' object referenced in the log message.  I was able to open the cookie files themselves, and they seem to be legitimate cookies from web sites I recognize.

What are the 'xxxxxxxx.ie' objects noted in the log file?  Are there hidden objects that Windows Explorer is not showing me?  Is there a way I can see those objects?  Does their presence indicate some activity on my workstation I should be concerned about?

Thanks to anyone for sorting this out!!

• 1. Re: Hidden objects attached to my cookies?
          alexn

David,

Windows explorere when establishes connection to any web server it  does so by 3 way HTTP handshake just like TCP/ip syn -sync/ack  sync.

Data is responded with an encryption and IE decrypt that dat and shows resuilts, maybe these xxxxxx is some sort of encrypted data and IE is unable to decrypt it. It is just an idea.f12 key is helpful to see decryption methods of IE.