3 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2014 3:57 PM by tb_ng RSS

On Asset Groups and Tags

Can one asset be part of multiple asset groups? I tried and it didnt work for me (v7.5).

If the functionality of tags is suggested to realise the same objective, i have another question - One of my server hosts multiple applications. While the OS is regarded critical by the OS owner, the DB owner wants to see this as a a lower criticality. Where do i mention the different business impact/asset criticality for the same system if i am using tags? This could have been possible in Asset groups where i can mention business impact, but since one asset cannot be a part of mutliple groups, this doesnt work. Works great in other leading product. I am assuming that there is mathematical formula combining the asset criticality rating with the severity rating of the vulnerability to arrive at the Foundscore.

• 1. Re: On Asset Groups and Tags

Hi digvijay,

You answered your own question:  No assets can not be part of multiple asset groups, and yes that's what Asset Tagging is for.

For your purposes, you might consider having multiple different asset tags:

etc. etc.

You can search for Assets in Asset Management and apply the tags easily by clicking on the "with all search results" option.  You can set/change the criticality using that method as well.  Then creating custom reports based on the Asset tags (after adjusting the criticality based on audience) might get you the desired results.

If you're wanting/needing a GUI option to have both Criticality and Business impact your best option is to submit a Product Enhancement Request here:

https://sa-live.com/l?v=0&ui=0&p=000c00000000000000000000400000000000&spid=mcafe e-forums&url=--6e64626766662f626464667175706f65666e626f652f64706e/index.jsp%3Fpa th%3D/login-external.jsp

I hope that helps!

• 2. Re: On Asset Groups and Tags

Thanks Cathy for the response. I may have not understood it correctly.

I want to do this as part of scheduled automated and customized reporting with no manual intervention. I want scheduled reports every month like this : "Zone1-Windows-Priority1" to be delivered to WRO1 (Windows Remediation Owner 1) and "Zone1-Database-Priority2" to go to DRO2(Database Remediation Owner 2).

Now, one of the Windows in this Zone asset hosts SQL server. The Windows related issue report needs to go to WRO1 (He should not receive SQL server related issues) while SQL server related issues should go to DRO2 (DRO2 should not receive Windows related issues). The twist is that while OS is Critical (Priority 1) the Database is P2.

Where do I mark the Asset Criticality. Should i mark the same IP with two tags i.e. "Zone 1-Windows-Priority1" and "Zone 1- Database-Priority2" to signify Asset Criticality . If yes where do i mark the business impact to create MyFoundscore ratings? I understand that Business impact is defined at Asset Group level only and not at tag level. I also understand that when generating Reports, Foundscore value is influenced by the BI defined at asset groups level only and not on the basis of what tags we assign.

• 3. Re: On Asset Groups and Tags

Set a value in the custom fields and tag off that.

custom property 1 = OS priority

custom property 2 = Application priority

How to set custom properties.  This can also be scripted.