Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
488 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2013 11:32 PM by digvijay RSS
digvijay Newcomer 9 posts since
Apr 26, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 26, 2013 4:09 AM

On Asset Groups and Tags

Can one asset be part of multiple asset groups? I tried and it didnt work for me (v7.5).

If the functionality of tags is suggested to realise the same objective, i have another question - One of my server hosts multiple applications. While the OS is regarded critical by the OS owner, the DB owner wants to see this as a a lower criticality. Where do i mention the different business impact/asset criticality for the same system if i am using tags? This could have been possible in Asset groups where i can mention business impact, but since one asset cannot be a part of mutliple groups, this doesnt work. Works great in other leading product. I am assuming that there is mathematical formula combining the asset criticality rating with the severity rating of the vulnerability to arrive at the Foundscore.

• Community Leader 479 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 30, 2013 1:59 PM (in response to digvijay)
    Re: On Asset Groups and Tags

Hi digvijay,

You answered your own question:  No assets can not be part of multiple asset groups, and yes that's what Asset Tagging is for.

For your purposes, you might consider having multiple different asset tags:

BU_Critical

BU_NotCritical

etc. etc.

You can search for Assets in Asset Management and apply the tags easily by clicking on the "with all search results" option.  You can set/change the criticality using that method as well.  Then creating custom reports based on the Asset tags (after adjusting the criticality based on audience) might get you the desired results.

If you're wanting/needing a GUI option to have both Criticality and Business impact your best option is to submit a Product Enhancement Request here:

https://sa-live.com/l?v=0&ui=0&p=000c00000000000000000000400000000000&spid=mcafe e-forums&url=--6e64626766662f626464667175706f65666e626f652f64706e/index.jsp%3Fpa th%3D/login-external.jsp

I hope that helps!
    Cathy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points