4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2013 9:48 AM by Brooke

Pre Boot Keyboard issue

Brooke

Hello

I have just downgraded a test machine Dell Latitude E5430 from Windows 8 to Windows 7 (x64) and installed the following Mcafee products installed.

Product Coverage Reports

Endpoint Encryption Go

SiteAdvisor Enterprise Plus

VirusScan Enterprise

8.8.0.975.Wrk

Endpoint Encryption Agent

Endpoint Encryption for PC

After installing Endpoint Encryption, I installed Host IPS 8.0. It was after this that I noticed that when I entered a username in the Pre Boot login, a lowecase letter would randomly be shown as an uppercase. Also when pressing Shift + 2 the character shown would randomly be either a " or an @ symbol. This has caused an issue when entering the password.

As it randomly shows the characters in upper or lowercase, I can not be sure that it was definitely after the install of Host IPS.

The BIOS is upto date and I can only think it could be due to a setting in the BIOS that is causing this.

I have had the same issue when I attached an external keyboard.

Once through Pre Boot, the keyboard behaves as it should.

Has anyone had any similar experience with EEPC 7.0 ?

Regards

Graham

• 1. Re: Pre Boot Keyboard issue

are you saying you can press shift+2 0 times in a row, and it will display different chars, or that it displays the same char for that boot session, but if you reboot, it may display something else?

Shift+2 is one of the chars which is different between UK/US/EU keyboards etc - it's one of the classic examples of picking the wrong keyboard map pre-boot.

final question(s) - what keyboard layout are you using pre-boot, and since you're using W7, can you confirm you're using the BIOS version of EEPC, not the uEFI version now?

• 2. Re: Pre Boot Keyboard issue
            Brooke

SafeBoot wrote:

are you saying you can press shift+2 0 times in a row, and it will display different chars, or that it displays the same char for that boot session, but if you reboot, it may display something else?

When I press Shift + 2 x times in a row, it displays different characters.

SafeBoot wrote:

final question(s) - what keyboard layout are you using pre-boot, and since you're using W7, can you confirm you're using the BIOS version of EEPC, not the uEFI version now?

I'm not sure how to determine the pre boot keyboard layout and the BIOS is set to UEFI with Legacy Options ROMs enabled and Secure Boot disabled as these are the only settings that allow the system to boot.

• 3. Re: Pre Boot Keyboard issue

We really need to know what mode you have installed EEPC7 in - from the pre-boot environment you should be able to see what modules are available.

If you're using the uEFI version of EEPC, then the keyboard control is the responsibility of the firmware, so this becomes a Dell problem unfortunately. If it's a BIOS version, then it's EEPC who is in control.

I don't know anyone else who has used W7 in uEFI mode though, normally it's only W8 users.

• 4. Re: Pre Boot Keyboard issue
                Brooke

The modules available are

Core

MfeEEBoot (7.0.0.304)

Pre-Boot Environment  (7.0.0.304)

Block IO Driver  (7.0.0.304)

I have also noticed that in the pre boot, the language is set to English-US with the keyboard set to English (United Kingdom). There is no English-UK language available but if I set both to US the keyboard issue goes away (although this is the wron setting for our users)

Message was edited by: Brooke on 25/04/13 09:48:44 CDT