4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2013 5:32 AM by wisnupp

How to build EEFF into WinPE

Hi,

Can anyone explain how to build EEFF into WinPE v3 (win 7 32bit), including an existing company-wide EEFF key?

I'm using:

- ePO 4.5.4 hotfix 1

- EEFF 4.0.0.40

We have requirement to restore Windows to a new/corrupt PC from an EEFF-encrypted image file (stored in an external harddisk), using WinPE boot-thumbdrive. We don't want to decrypt the image file first, to safe support time.

Thanks,

Wisnu

• 1. Re: How to build EEFF into WinPE

unfortunatey installing packages into WinPE is not as easy as it could be.

You'll have to copy the files manually into the right folders as you build your PE image, then make all the correct registry changes etc mirroring the changes on an actual PC. Since EEFF is distributed as an MSI, that's not as easy as it could be.

Then, you'll need the McAfee agent system in there as well, and network connectivity so the agent can get hold of the keys from EPO (thus you'll also need a node licence for it).

After that, you will probably come across problems, for example there's no explorer in WinPE, so how are you going to interact with the file - I expect a lot of stuff will be broken.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to build EEFF into WinPE

Hi Simon,

So if we can record any change made to Windows during McAfee Agent and EEFF installation and copy that to WinPE, then find a way to add windows explorer to WinPE, it may work?

• 3. Re: How to build EEFF into WinPE

it "may" - but that's an awful lot of things to fix. I've never seen a reliable set of steps to add explorer to WinPE either.

• 4. Re: How to build EEFF into WinPE

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your explanation.