8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2014 10:13 AM by tao

SAE 3.5 and Chrome 26

We have successfully pushed SAE 3.5 from ePO. It enables automatically in Internet Explorer. We can't figure out a way through either GPO or some other mechanism to automatially enable it on our 1000+ workstations. I don't want to push this to the users with a procedure and hope they will follow it. Has anyone successfully enabled SAE within Chrome centrally? I've read that it would be doable via group policy if SiteAdvisor was available in the Google Chrome Web Store but it is not... Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike

Message was edited by: mbjones on 4/17/13 12:15:16 PM CDT
        • 1. Re: SAE 3.5 and Chrome 26
          flitcraft33

Same issue here. Chrome just turns off site advisor. Supposedly there is  a registry hack to change policy in Chorme ot allow it,

set Software\Policies\Google\Chrome\ExtensionInstallSources\1= "URL FOR INSTALL"  or some such. I have not tried it yet. Sure could use some help on this.

flitcraft33

• 2. Re: SAE 3.5 and Chrome 26
            drjarmon

The latest Google Chrome update disabled McAfeeSiteAdvisor Enterprise.  Ironically “to make Chrome safer”.

Extension Disabled

To make Chrome safer, we disabled some extensions that aren’t listed in the Chrome Web Store and may have been added without your knowledge.

• -         McAfee SiteAdvisor Enterprise
            • 3. Re: SAE 3.5 and Chrome 26
              pierce

Yup, its a new policy from google, if your app is not on the google chrome store it will be disabled.

They gave everyone 6 months notice.

http://www.cnet.com/news/outrage-grows-as-google-axes-some-chrome-extensions/

• 4. Re: SAE 3.5 and Chrome 26
                flitcraft33

Sorry, but there is nothing "fair" about publishing an API, then months later after a developer spends big bucks and lots of man hours to simply boot them because of what amounts to "you need to pay us". That is restraint of trade, and arguably fraud.  It is the bad behaviour of an unrestrained 800 lb gorilla who says "Do no evil" but who means "Don't get caught doing evil." Their Machievallean approach is hypocritical and  harmful.  They need to undo this.

• 5. Re: SAE 3.5 and Chrome 26
                  pierce

Yup, thats what the link I provided says.

I still however would have expected McAfee to be a bit more proactive with this issue. They could have easily sent a warning email about the impending shutoff and pointed the finger at google, the bad publicity could have helped change this earlier before it affected end users.

Also I dont think you need to pay to be on the google chrome store? Or am I missing something from your comment?

My route of action is to stop pushing site advisor until the next version which should be at the DNS layer and will work much more easily.

• 6. Re: SAE 3.5 and Chrome 26
                    tao

Testing SAE 3.5.1204 with Chrome Version 33.0.1750.154 and it works.  Anything beyond version 33 the SAE plugin will be disabled.  Had to add the following regedit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Google\Update]

"UpdateDefault"=dword:00000000

This will stop Chrome from auto updating to the latest version.

• 7. Re: SAE 3.5 and Chrome 26
                      pierce

While that works... Is that really the best option?

Its like sticking with windows XP and internet explorer 6 because something still works, how many security updates have been released since chrome 33?

Personally the choice between site advisor working and chrome being up to date I would side with chrome being up to date. Browsers are one of the most exposed applications on your system as they interact with so much stuff. I understand site advisor helps, but its not silver bullet to perfect security :-)

• 8. Re: SAE 3.5 and Chrome 26
                        tao

Looks like there have been four version since 33: http://www.chromium.org/developers/calendar

I agee,

Personally the choice between site advisor working and chrome being up to date I would side with chrome being up to date. Browsers are one of the most exposed applications on your system as they interact with so much stuff. I understand site advisor helps, but its not silver bullet to perfect security :-)

But it's interesting that the security fixes are due to link/website code rendering within the browser which perhaps, SAE would have blocked the code from rendering in the first place.