1 2 3 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2013 11:56 AM by Peter M

Computer at Risk !

Hello....

My McAfee keeps telling me  " my comp is at risk ".   When click updates,,, it goes thru the process and then says " unable to complete initialization. Error  800bo1oa:1

When I check my status, it says all up to date... but still says at risk. 

Any ideas ???????? 

Thanks,,,

Craig

• 1. Re: Computer at Risk !
          Peter M

More information please. 

1.  Your operating system and service pack and version of Internet Explorer installed?  (IE is used by McAfee processes regardless of your default browser settings).  

2.  What McAfee software is installed?  Can you open it and click About and post the version of SecurityCenter please?

Also check your system clock for accuracy both time and timezone-wise.

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes anything, run it twice if necessary.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

• 2. Re: Computer at Risk !

Hello ---

Windows xp home edition 2002  Svc Pak 3

IE 8 Vers 8.06001.18702IS   ( i use Google Chrome tho )

ATT McAfee - Security version 11.6

Clock / time zone are correct.

I have run Vert. Tech.  2x -- no fix    

Thanks for your help .

• 3. Re: Computer at Risk !

cd1956,

Run the below Tool

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MSCPRXFIX.exe

Restart the computer

Update the McAfee and check the status

• 4. Re: Computer at Risk !

I followed the link..... restarted... and update...

same response :  Computer at risk !

• 5. Re: Computer at Risk !
                  Hayton

The error code is actually  "0x800b010a".

This error code is usually encountered when there are problems with Windows Updates, and on the Microsoft forums there are threads (some quite long) dealing with this problem.

The meaning of that error code in Windows is "A certificate chain could not be built to a trusted root authority."

The reasons for this failure may perhaps be found in the System or Applications sections of your Event Logs.

To open Event Viewer : click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer.

Browse through the list of events. There will be many, even on the best-behaved system, so don't panic. Look for Errors and Warnings. If you want to filter out Information-only messages, you can do that by clicking on 'View' in the Event Viewer menu, selecting 'Filter', and unchecking the 'Information event-type' box.

One possible reason for the message is that you have one or more missing digital certificates on your certificate store. Microsoft pushes out updates for the certificate stores on XP machines, but for some reason chooses to make these Optional updates. So go to Microsoft Update, and check for any outstanding updates in both categories - Critical (High-Priority) and Custom (Optional). Download anything you find there (although there's a Silverlight update you can probably ignore).

Shut down, leave for about 30 seconds, and reboot. Once it's all re-started run a disk clean-up program - McAfee Quick Clean might do, but I prefer CCleaner. If you still have the At Risk message, let us know.

It's worth noting that at least one poster with this problem had to uninstall, run MCPR, and re-install McAfee. Another one had to go back and re-install Windows (not that I'd advise doing that with XP).

For reference (we may need to go into this further) some of the Microsoft threads are at -

https://blogs.technet.com/b/stefan_stranger/archive/2009/06/21/the-failure-code- on-the-certificate-was-0x800b010a-a-certificate-chain-could-not-be-built-to-a-tr usted-root-authority.aspx?Redirected=true

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/84bf285 c-8b9e-4844-af3e-797d2d4be244/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/er ror-code-800b010a-or-0x800b010a/e77ebfb2-db57-42b6-96c2-852b38d1bdd3?page=2

• 6. Re: Computer at Risk !

Well,,,,   I opened the Event Viewer.    MANY errors in there.  Mostly " NativeWrapper" and " MsiInstaller. 

I went to the Microsoft updates.....and tried to install the 1 security update... which has not been able to install for months.  I gave up.

when I try it says "  Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2698023) - unable to install. "

I have run the CCleaner.... but still get at risk message 

More ideas ??

I appreciate EVERYONES help.

• 7. Re: Computer at Risk !
                      Peter M

I Googled 'KB2698023 wont install XP' and got lots of hits.

One poster solved the problem this way:

From the control panel Add/Remove I uninstalled .net 1.1

I then downloaded .net 1.1

Updated to 1.1 SP 1

rebooted and then the install worked!

Meanwhile if you are using registry cleaners and optimizers, don't.  They are the cause of many a corrupted system, especially XP which is coming to the end of its life cycle within a year and hence is the hardest to deal with because of age.

CCleaner is great for stubborn programmes that wont uninstall properly in the normal way but you should only use it as a last resort and only if you are absolutely sure of what you are doing.

I remember my first experience with registry cleaners in XP.  It decided my Intel Proset network adapter was unnecessary and completely wiped it off the face of the Earth.   Thanks to the restore button I got it back, but had I not been able to, I would have been without the web until I could have used some sort of external media to reinstall it, and those things were scarce in those days.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/04/13 7:24:26 EDT AM
                      • 8. Re: Computer at Risk !
                        Peter M

Once this is sorted out make sure that every update for your system is installed, including any for Internet Explorer (IE8 is as high as you can go) as many processes use it.   Then your system will hopefully be good to go until XP reaches end-of-life on April 1, 2014.

See XP Countdown Clock.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/04/13 7:31:48 EDT AM
                        • 9. Re: Computer at Risk !

Under Add/Remove programs ...

I have " microsoft..Net Framework 1.1    

it doesnt list anything to the far right - where size is  ...

and nothing says service pak 1 .

Could that be the problem...... I dont have service pak 1 ????

1 2 3 Previous Next