1 2 3 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2013 5:33 AM by amer1canparatrooper

McAfee Alert Host has stopped working

amer1canparatrooper

I am receiving a message from windows stating that the McAfee Alert Host has stopped working.  At that moment, I am able to check for an online solution with Microsoft but nothing happens.  I have restarted my computer many times and am continuing to receive this message after a few minutes of being logged into either a standard user or an administrator account.  My computer consists of Windows 7 professional 64 and am using McAfee all access total protection version of the antivirus.  Also, I have all windows updates and McAfee software updates installed.

• 1. Re: McAfee Alert Host has stopped working

amer1canparatrooper,

Click the below link to open the View problem history pane

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-vista/view-the-details-of-a-problem-r eport

Check for the McAfee Alert host stopped working error message

If found, double click on the error and take a screen shot and then post back here

If you feel the above step is complicated kindly click on view details when you get the McAfee alert host error and take a screen shot then post back here

After taking the screen shot, install and run McAfee virtual technician and check the issue

McAfee Virtual Technician : http://mvt.mcafee.com

• 2. Re: McAfee Alert Host has stopped working
            Peacekeeper

Also which file is it Mcafee host or Mcafee service host?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 3/09/13 1:42:20 PM
            • 3. Re: McAfee Alert Host has stopped working

I'm seeing the same behavior.  It seems to happen about once per day, although this morning there were two identical pop-ups with this information.

My machine is also Win7 with all of the latest updates.  I have the consumer version of McAfee Total Protection.

I downloaded and ran the latest version of Virtual Technician yesterday.  VT said that it found a registry entry problem and fixed it.  Still, I got the error again this morning.  Obviously, VT did fix this problem.

I think it's coming from Home Network Defense.  There seems to be problems with the current version of this component of the McAfee suite.  When I open the network map, it tells me that my wireless printers are untrusted hosts running McAfee (?!?) and wants me to enter a password on this machine then enter the same password on the untrusted machines.  I would do that, but I'm having trouble finding the keyboard and monitor on my printers.

It also lists my laptop as untrusted.  When I tried to do the thing with entering a password here, then enter it at the other machine.  When I went to the laptop, McAfee never asked for the password.  It just opened the network map on the laptop, and told me that the laptop didn't trust this machine or my printers.

This behavior started about a week ago, and has been happening daily.

• 4. Re: McAfee Alert Host has stopped working
                Peacekeeper

What version of Mcafee and can you take a pic of the message please

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 15/04/13 7:27:57 PM
                • 5. Re: McAfee Alert Host has stopped working

I'm not sure where to find the version number for McAfee (It doesn't appear when I click on "Help").

I will do a screen capture the next time I see the message.  For now, the pop-up opened by Microsoft has the title "McAfee Alert host" and the text "McAfee Alert host has stopped working".  In the details drop-down on this pop-up, it lists the application name as ALERTH~1.EXE.  (I wrote this information down so I could investigate on my own.)

I tried to turn off the Home Network Defense feature until this problem is resolved, but I can't find a way to do that.

• 6. Re: McAfee Alert Host has stopped working
                    Peacekeeper

in 11.6 about is at top right of the screen. In 12.1 about is found by clicking on navigation and then about bottom left of the navigation screen.

Try aslo what karthiks said about and post back anything you can get.

amer1canparatrooper  please do so as well this is your thread.

• 7. Re: McAfee Alert Host has stopped working

I didn't find it in either of those places, but the "About" link on the lower right of the Home screen shows me that I've got the following:

McAfee Security Center Version 12.1, Build 12.1.323,

McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Version 16.1, Build 16.1.172

McAfee Personal Firewall Version 13.1, Build 13.1.132

McAfee SiteAdvisor Version 3.6, Build 3.6.0.187

McAfee Anti-Spam Version 13.1, Build 13.1.154

McAfee Parental Controls Version 14.1, Build 14.1.132

McAfee File Lock 3.1, Build 3.1.124

McAfee Online Backup Version 3.0, Build 3.0.128

McAfee QuickClean and Shredder Version 12.1, Build 12.1.147

Since the link that karthiks gave is for Windows Vista, but my machine is running Windows 7, I couldn't use the instructions provided there.  I found the same information in my system logs however.  (BTW, this is the same info that is in the details of the pop-up that appears, so a screen shot of the pop-up would give you no additional information)

Untitled.jpg

Message was edited by: djc73 Sorry about the size.  Your message editor won't allow me to insert an image from the clipboard, and this is the size that results when I save the screen capture in Paint and insert the JPG file.  I've attached a copy of the JPG - perhaps another viewer will allow you to read it more easily. on 4/15/13 5:12:09 AM CDT
                      • 8. Re: McAfee Alert Host has stopped working
                        Peacekeeper

Ok added this to our mod call tomorrow to see what the high level techs say.

Checked my error list and no such error so something is amiss maybe a clashing program so will see what the techs or karthiks above says.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 15/04/13 8:35:53 PM
                        • 9. Re: McAfee Alert Host has stopped working
                          amer1canparatrooper

Here are two error messages that I have found.  One, a WMI error and the second, an Application error:

wmi-error.PNGmcafee-12.1.PNG

application-error.PNG

alert-host-down.jpg

1 2 3 Previous Next