Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
386 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Apr 12, 2013 2:20 PM by mtuma RSS
PhilM Champion 528 posts since
Jan 7, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2013 7:41 AM

Virtual MFE appliance in a vCloud environment

Can any of the McAfee guys confirm or deny if the virtualized instance of MFE will work in a cloud-based VMWare environment.

A customer has a approached us with a view to replacing their existing Firewall infrastructure which is made up of several different vendor appliances with a single-vendor solution. One of the criteria they have asked about is whether the proposed solution can be installed in a virtualized environment as well as on physical appliances.

When we confirmed to them that there was a virtualized version which could be deployed to ESX or ESXi environments using vSphere, they then asked about a cloud offering. When we asked them to explain what they meant by this, their response was:-

We run VMWare Vcloud Director and rent, and/ormanage vm's for our clients. We're looking for a virtual firewall thatintegrates with Vcloud Director. We also manage physical firewalls for clients.We're keen to have a common firewall OS on both our physical and virtualfirewalls.

Can anyone confirm whether this is possible and/or officially supported?

Many Thanks.

-Phil.

• mtuma McAfee SME 315 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 12, 2013 2:20 PM (in response to PhilM)
    Re: Virtual MFE appliance in a vCloud environment

Hello Phil,

While vCloud is pretty new to me, I do not believe that the Firewall Enterprise support's it. I know that we do not support vMotion, where you move the vm from one ESX host to another. One of the main reasons that it won't work is that our licensing is tied to physical hosts, so moving the vm from one host to another will cause issues. The other problem is the fact that we just have not tested the Firewall Enterprise with these VMware features.

Matt

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points