Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
7091 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2013 8:57 AM by D-Fens RSS
ottawa_tech_31 Apprentice 91 posts since
Feb 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 11, 2013 10:04 AM

Any news on VSE 8.8 Patch 4?

Any news on VSE 8.8 Patch 4?

• alexn Veteran 722 posts since
    Aug 9, 2012
    1. Apr 11, 2013 12:19 PM (in response to ottawa_tech_31)
    Re: Any news on VSE 8.8 Patch 4?

Ottawa,

VSE Patch 4 will be available to download

Nov, 2013

Possible timeline for VSE 8.8 Patch 4

Regds,

Alexn

Post Timings: 6.00 AM to 3.00PM PDT
  • wwarren McAfee SME 765 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    2. Apr 15, 2013 11:44 AM (in response to alexn)

We're trying to hold fast to a projected date in November for general availability of the patch.

Those familiar with our patch release process will know that means September for our "Release to Support".

As always, issues found during the patch release cycle put dates in jeopardy. And we've a long way to go before seeing September/November.

• jj4sec Champion 84 posts since
    Nov 6, 2009
    3. Apr 18, 2013 12:21 PM (in response to wwarren)

this is a long time to wait for a version that does work for all windows os's.

Now the patch 3 is nothing more than a hotfix to let it work on windows 8 and 2012.

We need a patch that does work earlier.  We also miss an MID tool that support these OS's.

At this moment I'm forced to create multiple packages

• wwarren McAfee SME 765 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    4. Apr 18, 2013 2:47 PM (in response to jj4sec)

jj4sec wrote:

this is a long time to wait for a version that does work for all windows os's.

Now the patch 3 is nothing more than a hotfix to let it work on windows 8 and 2012.

We need a patch that does work earlier.  We also miss an MID tool that support these OS's.

At this moment I'm forced to create multiple packages

The VSE Sustaining Team are moving toward a goal of releasing 2 patches a year at 6 mth intervals, starting in September (hey, it's a month earlier!).

Still, it is a long time to wait for a version that works for all Windows OS's, agreed. There is no other option however.

Patch 3 is far from "nothing more than a hotfix to let it work on Windows 8 and 2012". It's a patch - new code, new builds, new binaries, lots of new functionality (for Win8) and tons of testing. The amount of work involved in that project cannot be responsibly described as a hotfix.

Patch 4 is the release we're waiting on to bring OS support back under a single maintenance package release. And MID will also be usable again consequently. The multiple package scenario, for those who need to do that, is a temporary measure; this was an unfortunate outcome of building a Patch that only supported the new OS.

Something to be mindful of too, our 5600 engine is releasing soon - and that will become part of the Patch 4 full-install package.

• jj4sec Champion 84 posts since
    Nov 6, 2009
    5. Apr 19, 2013 3:25 AM (in response to wwarren)

I know a lot of testing is done for making a software for a new OS but to us and certainly to our customers this does look like a software that is not finished because we can't use MID, we have to split packages for windows8/windows 12 and the rest.

Sorry but we chose for McAfee as a large company in the hope that new platforms (windows/linux/....) are followed and supported as soon as possible so we are not restricted in the use of those new OS's.

I know this isn't an easy task but that is now just why we selected McAfee because we believe they should be able to do it.

And if I hear what Microsoft plans to do in the future, new versions will come more quickly so McAfee should be prepared to follow it more quickly and keeping the two release moments a year could be a problem if these moments are the opposite of the Microsoft release moments.

• kent_farries Newcomer 2 posts since
    Apr 29, 2013
    6. Apr 29, 2013 8:45 PM (in response to ottawa_tech_31)

I honestly thought this was an April fools joke or something else but it was not.  Normally you will not see me post anything on these forums but this time around I needed to show my dissatisfaction with the release schedule.

Longtime (Since the 90's) McAfee corporate customer here with 2500+ seats.

Let's look at some rough timelines

• Windows 8 comes out in August for Corporations and RTW in October with Windows Server 2012 RTW in September 2012.
    • McAfee releases VirusScan 8.8 Patch 3 in January 2013 but only supports Windows 8 and Server 2012.  This makes things easy managing multiple versions... NOT.  What was the team thinking?
    • Nov 2013 out comes Patch 4.
    • We can finally deploy a unified version a year+ later.  Oh wait Windows 8.1/9.0 (VNext 6.3 Under the hood) comes out and we want it on our tablets.  We can't since we have to wait another year for McAfee to release a supported version.

Corporate Desktops/Laptops traditionally moved slow but that will/has changed.  If we want AntiVirus on our mobile products then we will have to look somewhere else.  We were using Defender for our POC systems and have moved most to Patch 3 manually at this time.

For now we have deployed

• ePO 4.6.6 (Going to upgrade to ePO 5.0.x once it comes out)
    • Agent 4.8
    • AntiVirus 8.8 Patch 2 for Win7
    • AntiVirus 8.8 Patch 3 for Win8 (Manually and not in ePO since it fails to install with Patch 2 installed).  Would love to have this fixed but have been too lazy to call support and was waiting for 8.8 Patch 4.  Guess I will call support.

Our Mobile Roadmap (Ramp up with Haswell based devices)

• Move away from iPad to Windows 8.x devices (Think Haswell based)
    • Full support by IT including when remote.  Basic services would be encryption, DirectAccess, AntiVirus, Webgateway, IPS, NGFW, Remote Control, etc....  Basically always connected, always support, anytime access.
    • Tablets start replacing Laptops and Desktops as users don't want to carry multiple devices.

We can't wait a year or more for a release so we will have to look somewhere else if McAfee does not support new OS's by Microsoft when they come out.   The general rule should be 60 to 90 days.

Sincerly,

Kent

• D-Fens Apprentice 116 posts since
    Feb 14, 2006
    7. May 6, 2013 8:57 AM (in response to kent_farries)

it will be released in Nov 2013, if QA is happy with the release...

in addition, look at KB78149:

IMPORTANT: VSE 8.8 Patch 2 requires the following hotfixes to be installed in the following order: Hotfix 805660, 778101, 820636, then Hotfix 846582.

2 of these HF are security related, and it's so complicated to install them correctly...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points