4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2013 2:58 AM by uzanatta

Client task on client unmanaged

uzanatta

Hi there,

I discovered a strange issue with McAfee ePo 4.6 and client agent 4.5 patch 2.

I'm talking about 20000 endpoint deployed on a worldwide organization. The issue started when I created a client task in order to install EEPC 6.2 on some endpoints. The client task was inserted on 'My Organization' who are syncronized with AD.

Those endpoints were tagged with a Custom Tag for deploying EEPC only to such endpoints.

Suddenly, some endpoints whose are on 'unmanaged' state (maybe for a duplicate GUID but even for them that don't reach ePO for a long time), so not tagged with the custom tag, they started installation of EEPC agent and EEPC software and obviously users weren't unable to logon on preboot file system.

Do you have any idea why ePO Agent runs a client task even if the task is not for it? There's an issue with ePO agent?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Client task on client unmanaged
          Attila Polinger

Hi,

Can you recall the order of your actions exactly? What happened first? Tagging or creating the client task? Did you create the client task immediately with "Run on clients that has tag" criteria or not?

It is worth waitign between phases when planning and performing a combined action such as this. A phase could be the tagging action, another phase could be the creation of the client task with the tag criteria, etc.

Else I think some asynchronousness could arise for some clients that checks in between phases and might download (and execute) tasks that are not meant for them.

Attila

• 2. Re: Client task on client unmanaged
            uzanatta

Hi,

the client task was created in order to running eepc installation in the endpoints in which CustomProperties1 was filled with 'EEPC' tag. The Client task should start only if 'CustomProperties1' contains 'EEPC'.

For some unknown reasons (one of these could be the duplicate GUID) some endpoint 'unmanaged' start the installation of EEPC. There is no evidence on ePO because the endpoint still remain 'unmanaged'.

Thank you,

• 3. Re: Client task on client unmanaged
              Attila Polinger

Hi,

by all means you have to investigate the duplicate GUID issue on these "unmanaged" endpoints. There are a number of known solutions to fix this depending on the cause of the issue (VPN clients checking in first after agent installation, imaging, etc.). You need to determine the reason.

I agree with you that this is what could stand in the background being the main cause.

Attila

1 of 1 people found this helpful