Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
375 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 7:07 PM by btlyric RSS
btlyric Apprentice 186 posts since
Aug 1, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 8, 2013 10:42 PM

Rule criteria + auth

After Enable Opener, I have a rule set that identifies files that are PDF (or whatever) uploads and sets a specific user-defined property. I can use that property to completely block the connection or to pop up an authentication dialog in the next rule set, but what I want to do is return a notification page to the client that requests that they authenticate before proceeding. Once they authenticate, redirect the connection back to the original POST URL or to a point where they can resubmit the upload.

For something like gmail attachments, a Block page won't display the page to the client and Authenticate would pop up an authentication dialog, but I want to give the user context so that they know what credentials they should use to authenticate. Seems to me that this might be possible by using a Redirect to a Block page with an option to authenticate, but I haven't yet found the right combination of rules.

Is this possible?

• eelsasser McAfee SME 845 posts since
    Mar 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 8, 2013 11:52 PM (in response to btlyric)
    Re: Rule criteria + auth

Because the POST request actually doing the upload is done by the site's AJAX script using the XMLHttpRequest object, you cannot break out of that communication context and get to an HTML renderable window.

Even if you respond to that POST command with a '302 Redirected' it will not redirect the entire page to display anything. Instead, it returns the 302 to the object and the javascript must have the redirection logic built into it to react accordingly. I have never been able to find a way to wedge in a window to display information or accept input and continue where it left off.

I run into similar problems with progress pages. I would love to always pop up a mini-downloading window everytime someone downloads a file, but you cannot if the GET is being done outside the document window with javascript (or java, or flash, or silverlight).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points