5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 8:48 AM by alexn

Exclusions in ePO 4.6

Hi guys,

I've found an article from MS about how to configure AV in an enterprise environment:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

I'm trying to accomplish this with ePO 4.6.1 build 1192. I have absolutely zero experience with ePO, and what I've found sofar is that I have to make exclusions in the Client Task Catalog, but there are a couple of subcategories and I have no idea where to create the new task to get it applied to all servers in the enterprise. In the Client Task Catalog, there are no tasks under Virusscan Enterprise 8.8.0. Under the McAfee Agent task type I have "Install Virusscan Enterprise", "Install Windows Agent" and "CUSTOMER Product Auto Update". The last one is probably a custom made task since it has the customers name in it.

Also, under the Client Task Assignments, under Servers, I currently have "Install Virusscan Enterprise" and "Install Windows Agent". Under Unmanaged Servers and Lost&Found I have nothing listed.

I'm working a lot with MS AD and it feels like I have to create a new task (like a GPO) in the Client Task Catalog (like the group policy editor in AD) and then assign it to the enterprise in Client Task Assignments. Am I right, and if so, how do I make a task to do this? Any helpful links would be greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Exclusions in ePO 4.6
          alexn

hi Tom,

This article explains exclusions about different windows plateforms in general, AS far VSE is concerend if you could let me know your clients OS  and servers in your environment and I will let you know what and where you can set exclusions for better performance.Please do mention all security products on your clien machines as well as on servers plus all OS types and versions as well, specifically if there is any exchange server DB servers etc.And no worries you are at right place to set right exclusions.

Regds,

• 2. Re: Exclusions in ePO 4.6

Hi Alex,

All servers are running Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1 there are no clients or exchange servers in the domain. The only AV product we're using is McAfee Virusscan Enterprise 8.8 on the servers.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Exclusions in ePO 4.6
              alexn

Tom,

On windows servers Please follow this Best practice guide.

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 22000/PD22940/en_US/vse_880_best_practices_guide.pdf

And Followuing MS article you may also apply these exclusiojn if the sercver is without any role defind.

Turn off scanning of Windows Update or Automatic Update related files

• Turn off scanning of the Windows Update or Automatic Update database file (Datastore.edb). This file is located in the following folder:

%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore

• Turn off scanning of the log files that are located in the following folder:

%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Datastore\Logs

Specifically, exclude the following files:
                • Res*.log
                • Edb*.jrs
                • Edb.chk
                • Tmp.edb
                The wildcard character (*) indicates that there may be several files.

Turn off scanning of Windows Security files

• Add the following files in the %windir%\Security\Database path of the exclusions list:
                • *.edb
                • *.sdb
                • *.log
                • *.chk
                • *.jrs

Regds

Message was edited by: alexn on 4/11/13 9:23:16 AM CDT
              • 4. Re: Exclusions in ePO 4.6

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the link! I've made two policies, the first one specifically for domain controllers and the other is a general one, to be applied to all servers. But how can I assign these policies? I've clicked all through Policy Assignments but it just doesn't make any sense to me.

• 5. Re: Exclusions in ePO 4.6
                  alexn

Great!!

Now first I would suggest you to apply policy on a single machine either server or workstation for testing purpose and if it goes fine then you can assign it on all machines.Select system tree > select any machine server or workstation>Click Action>Agent>modify policy on a single system>Select the product from Product drop down manue>under catogry list select your desired policy and under Action list>click edit assignment>Select the Radio button Break inheritance and assign the policy and settings below>from assigned policy drop down manue select your policy(the policy you have created)Click Save  : all done.

In this way your policy will be set on one specific machine.