1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 8:45 AM by Peter M

McAfee Engages in Unethical Business Practices!!!!!

miked215

I feel like I just got ripped off by McAfee!!!!

I have three computers running McAfee products:  two on "Anti-virus Plus" and one on "Security Center."

I needed to upgrade the one on "Security Center" because the license had expired.  What I really wanted to do was downgrade from Security Center to Anti-Virus Plus.

I swear I am not making this up:  I could not get to a list of products on the McAfee webs site.  I could only get to a page that would allow me to upgrade Security Center.

I have been buying McAfee products from more than ten years.  I am done!!!!

Can anyone recommend a good anti-virus program at a reasonable price?

Also, while I am on a rant, how totally f**king stupid is to require a new registration for the community support section?  Why couldn't I just use my McAfee logon?

• 1. Re: McAfee Engages in Unethical Business Practices!!!!!
          Peter M

If you did in fact get 'ripped off' Customer Service will be only too glad to sort it out for you and even refund if necessary of you were recently charged.  It's a free call:

To speak with a Customer Service representative, call us at 866-622-3911.

Average contact length: 10  minutes

Estimated wait time: 5-10 minutes

Hours of Operation: Available daily, 6am-6pm Pacific

I know of very few websites, if any, that can accomodate downgrades, upgrades yes, but downgrades usually mean you have to speak to someone.

This forum website is totally divorced from the main McAfee website for good reason.  It is constantly under attack from people and bots trying to spam it and its users which keeps us Moderators on our toes, so enrolling here has always been kept separate from everything else.

I don't see anything unethical about your experience but then that's just my humble opinion.

By the way you can also use online chat if you prefer,  just click Customer Service under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/04/13 11:28:09 EDT AM
          • 2. Re: McAfee Engages in Unethical Business Practices!!!!!
            miked215

When a corporation deliberately hides options from a consumer in order to force a choice that maximizes profitability, THAT IS UNETHICAL (and also, "penny wise and pound foolish").

Again, I swear I am not making this up, I got a different view of the McAfee website because I had "Security Center" installed on my computer.  This view limited all other purchase options.

• 3. Re: McAfee Engages in Unethical Business Practices!!!!!
              Peter M

If SecurityCenter was supplied by a  3rd party such as your ISP or PC maker, for instance, then choices would be limited.  If not all you have to do is speak to Customer Service.  I don't know what else I can offer as I'm only the unpaid help around here.

I repeat, very few online retailers have the ability to downgrade a product, however obviously you choose not to believe that.

It's your call, support is free and will take no time at all to sort your problems out.

• 4. Re: McAfee Engages in Unethical Business Practices!!!!!
                miked215

Security Center was supplied by Dell...

"If SecurityCenter was supplied by a  3rd party such as your ISP or PC maker, for instance, then choices would be limited."

...please explain why this is so.  It does not make sense to me that McAfee should deliberately limit my choices.

• 5. Re: McAfee Engages in Unethical Business Practices!!!!!
                  Peter M

Your subscription is controlled by Dell.  To get a different product from what they offer you would have to purchase a brand new product from McAfee or from another retailer.

• 6. Re: McAfee Engages in Unethical Business Practices!!!!!
                    Peter M

Why don't you pick up the phone and call Customer Service, they would explain all this to you.  Easy than going back and forth here.

• 7. Re: McAfee Engages in Unethical Business Practices!!!!!
                      miked215

"...you would have to purchase a brand new product from McAfee or from another retailer."

That is exactly what I tried to do.  Obviously Dell and McAfee have some sort of collusive agreement that limits the product choices I can see on the McAfee website.

The Dell and McAfee lawyers should get together to determine if what they are doing is actually legal.  It certainly is unethical.

• 8. Re: McAfee Engages in Unethical Business Practices!!!!!
                        Peter M

You tried to do it online right?  Try it by phone.   Dell is in full control of the McAfee product they offer and McAfee can't tell them what to do with it.   At least that's how it's explained to us.

If you want to go with a different product then Dell is out of the picture and you must uninstall their product, run the cleanup tool (see Useful Links again), reboot and install whatever brand new product you choose.  There's nothing stopping you from shopping online for the cheapest one but make sure it's a legal copy.

• 9. Re: McAfee Engages in Unethical Business Practices!!!!!
                          miked215

Well...

I just called McAfee customer support.  I spoke with some very nice lady in India who was totally cluelees in any understanding of helping me.

I would like a refund of the purchase I made earlier today, but only if I can somehow install Antivirus Plus on my system.

1 2 Previous Next