Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1231 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2013 11:14 AM by consoul RSS
consoul Newcomer 35 posts since
Aug 18, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 5, 2013 12:38 PM

Zabbix Agent?

Am I correct to assume that installing the Zabbix agent is unsupported?

Anyone running it now?

• btlyric Apprentice 184 posts since
    Aug 1, 2012
    1. Apr 5, 2013 6:21 PM (in response to consoul)
    Re: Zabbix Agent?

I bet the official answer will be something like, "Installation of anything on the system that is not part of the MWG distro is unsupported and may void your warranty."

I started looking at installing NRPE, but haven't had the time to compile it so that it doesn't have dependencies on other things that aren't on the system by default.

• asabban McAfee SME 1,351 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    2. Apr 8, 2013 1:30 AM (in response to btlyric)

Hello,

you are right. Every custom compiled component added to what we ship is not tested and noone can guarantee that there will be no problem. The MLOS is customized to run stable and deliver good performance. Adding additional software might cause conflicts or other problems, so McAfee does not allow to install additional software and will require customer to remove unsupported software or re-image the platform in case problems occur and the operating system has been touched.

On 7.3 you could install Zabbix pretty easily by using existing RPM packages:

wget http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/epel/6/x86_64/zabbix-1.8.16-1.el6.x86_64.rpm

wget http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/epel/6/x86_64/zabbix-agent-1.8.16-1.el6.x86_ 64.rpm

rpm -Uvh zabbix-1.8.16-1.el6.x86_64.rpm zabbix-agent-1.8.16-1.el6.x86_64.rpm

/etc/init.d/zabbix-agent start

However this should be used for testing only, since the above statement about supportability is still true. For official support please file an FMR: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60021

Best,

Andre

Nov 3, 2009
    4. Apr 9, 2013 4:11 AM (in response to consoul)

Hello,

yeah I understand the concern. So I recommend to file the FMR and hope for official support. I know that we have some customers who are pretty happy that the appliance is basically a plain "linux" and you can add some additional software. And I know customers that install custom software and usually there is no need to worry. I personally (as an administrator) would install it, as long as it is a small piece of agent software. I won't install an AV solution or a database on top, but well.

The major concern is supportability here. If we receive a call from support and we see there is something customized installed we usually assume that this could "harm" the system, since everything else is tested and known to work, since it is globally used around the world. So the first answer would we "remove the software" or even "re-image the box" and check if the issue persists. That is simply because we cannot test and support every software available, so we (at least I) can't give official permission since no one knows what could happen. Installing a custom package could overwrite a library or whatever.

It is not that the complete warranty is lost or that you can't call support any longer, the "not supported" means that we only take responsibility for what we deliver. If (for example) the appliance OS is updated, this kills the Zabbix agent, this causes Zabbix to report alerts on all your MWG, this calls the complete "emergency network oepration team" and causes them to spend 2 days on troubleshooting until you noticed that only the agent is dead -> we won't pay :-)

Best,

Andre

Nov 3, 2009
    6. Apr 22, 2013 7:17 AM (in response to consoul)

Hello,

which version of MWG are you running? In 7.3.1 the Zabbix Agent RPMs installed just fine. Maybe you are running 7.2, then you probably need an older RPM that refers to the right library versions. In case warnings  occur you certainly don't want to install the RPM :-)

Best,

Andre

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points