Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
678 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2013 9:40 AM by jmaxwell RSS
jmaxwell Newcomer 732 posts since
Apr 3, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 4, 2013 7:18 PM

Accessing ePO Superagent from non ePO Managed PC's

I have a requirement to access ePO Managed Superagent Distributed Repositories from standalone (not ePO Managed) PC's running AV 8.8i. ePO is 4.6.

Some of the PC's are behind a firewall so what ports are required through the Firewall to allow these clients to access the SA Repositories ?

Also can I simply "reuse" the Sitelist.xml file from an ePO Managed Client PC imported into the Standalone AV Installation ?

Thanks,

Jim

Not Again !
  • JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,868 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009

Hi...

In theory this could work, but it would be a bit involved. You would need to edit the sitelist.xml from a managed machine and remove everything except the McAfee repositories and the SA repo, and import that into each unmanaged machine.

There's an additional step as well - an unmanaged system by default will not trust the content in an ePO-managed repository, so you will need to manually place the repokeys.ini file taken from a managed machine onto each unmanaged one.

The SA repo serves content on the agent wakeup call port (8081 by default) so you'll need to open this port on the firewalls.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this, but I think it should work.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

Sep 11, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    3. Apr 5, 2013 12:59 PM (in response to jmaxwell)
    Re: Accessing ePO Superagent from non ePO Managed PC's

Rather than trying to remove the bits we don't want, what I would suggest is that you cut those sections from the sitelist of a managed machine and paste them into the sitelist from an unmanaged machine - that should hopefully give you a functional file.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

Sep 11, 2009

The managed machine's list will have a different version number, as this is updated by the ePO server, and it will also contain the server's certificates (which a standalone machine won't need) - I don't know what the effect of these will be.

You could try just using the sitelist from a managed machine - as I said I've not tested this myself: it may well work OK

HTH -

Joe

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points