1 of 1 people found this helpful
Please try the steps below:
Extract the ePO 5.0 setup run the upgradecompatibility
tool to creat the Migrate.zip file on the ePO 4.x server
Copy the Migrate.zip onto the 64bit Win2008 R2 server
(which will host your ePO 5.0)
On the 64bit server, Extract the ePO 5.0 setup and run
the .upgradecompatibility tool (select target option)
specify the path to Migrate.zip you copied in the previous step
click Migrate which will extract the zip contents and
make entries in the registry.
Run the ePO 5.0 setup and follow the instructions - at
the Database credentials screen, the database server and
ePO database name is hardcoded to the existing ePO 4.6
Key in the ePO database username and password (either
windows authentication or sql authentication)
Run through the remaining steps.
The upgrade should complete on the new ePO 5.0 box.
Note that since the machines are having two different host names, the clients reporting to the old ePO 4.6
server need to have a way to reach the new server.
This can be done by creating a CNAME record on your DNS server to have the clients trying to reach the
old ePO 4.6 server to redirect to the newly installed 5.0 server.
if someone has to upgrade on the same machine, then will he remove previous ePO and DB to run Compatibility tool? because I have experienced that after creating migrate.zip if I run same utility it gives me error "can not run over existing version of ePO".And If I remove previous version, will i remove DB as well?
1 of 1 people found this helpful
This response fails to mention that ePO 5.0 upgrades are supported from ePO 4.6.4 or higher and 4.5.6 and higher. The customer's post mentions ePO 4.6, build 1029 which is R4.6.0 (RTW) and is not a supported upgrade path. The customer needs to upgrade to at least 4.6.4. The latest ePO 4.6.x product available is 4.6.6, which was just released.
To answer the second question, if the ePO 4.6.x server is already on a supported platform (64-bit server running Windows 2008 SP2 or higher), there is no need to run the migration portion that produces the migration.zip. Just run a straight upgrade.
Yes - true. Thanks for pointing out Patt.
I believe Patt has replied to your query -
"To answer the second question, if the ePO 4.6.x server is already on a supported platform (64-bit server running Windows 2008 SP2 or higher), there is no need to run the migration portion that produces the migration.zip. Just run a straight upgrade"
I`m trying to use the upgradecompatibility tool to create the Migrate.zip file, to migrate my epo 4.6.6 to 5.0.0, but it's freezing at 0% in Compressing status and don't go on.
Sameone could help me with issue?
I have followed all steps, but I have a question my old epo server has other active services only ePO will be removed. Then How can I do for that my mcafee agents don't loss connection .. I must create CNAME records??. Please your help ..
Hi Sailendra .. I execute all steps, but in the new epo server 5.0, during the installation process later write sa authentication I obtaing the following message:
the wizard was interrupted before McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator could be completely installed. Your system has not been modified. to complete installation at another time, please run setup again.FINISH
And I can't install epo 5.0 .. I have reboot the server and test again the installer but nothing .. Please If you have some suggestions.
I just went through this and it really was more trouble than it is worth to try all this. What I did was to Bring up the new server with 5.0. I ran the upgradecompatibility tool on the old server just to make sure I had all the necessary extensions installed on the new server and making sure that nothing was installed on the old server that was incompatible. I exported all the policies and imported them on the new server. I duplicated all server tasks and client tasks and assignments. You can export your systems if you want but for me it caused trouble. Setup tags (if using them) and AD sync. Then I went from dept to dept and deleted the nodes from the old server and at the same time just pushed the agent out from the new server to each dept. Do this at the same time or they will show backup in the old server. This worked best for me and it may not for you. I have a lot of mobile users so that approach would not work for them. I downloaded the FramePkg.exe from the new server. This contains a new site list. When I was ready I just deleted them from the old server, turned off the services and then setup a script to run when the mobile machines connected to the network.
I spent a week trying to get the upgradecompatibility tool to work. I spent another 3 - 4 days trying to register the two server to each other and trying to transfer the systems.
My way....less than 2 days. Hope this helps someone.