Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1303 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 26, 2013 5:12 AM by PhilM RSS
alex_vani Newcomer 31 posts since
Mar 24, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 24, 2013 10:36 PM

Admin password (recovery option)

Hi I've lost the admin password for my McAfee Firewall in version 8.2.1. we have changed it, but now, we are not able to login, now, we're stuck.

Hi, I've been reading how to recover the admin password.  are these steps correct?

1.-  Reboot the firewall,

2.- Select Emergency Maintenance Mode Shell.

3.- Enter the following command.

cf adminuser modify username=admin password=newpassword123

Does the command will change the admin password to the newpassword123?

Or it is necessary to add a  new admin user?, proceed to login with this new admin user account, and then change the previous admin password, which was previously lost?

Thanks for your help.

• PhilM Champion 528 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    1. Mar 25, 2013 3:48 AM (in response to alex_vani)
    Re: Admin password (recovery option)
    Or it is necessary to add a  new admin user?, proceed to login with this new admin user account, and then change the previous admin password, which was previously lost?

No, the modify element in the command is there to allow you to modify an exisiting admin account. I would suggest, maybe, that when you have regained access, create a second admin account and lock its credentials away in a safe place.

Then if you find yourself in this same situation again, you can use the second account to rescue the first without needed to resort to the Emergency Maintenance Shell.

-Phil

• PhilM Champion 528 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    3. Mar 26, 2013 5:12 AM (in response to alex_vani)
    Re: Admin password (recovery option)
    By the way, is it possible at this point  (Emergency mode) to create an additional admin account, with full privileges to manage the firewall?

I don't see any reason why not - the cf adminuser command can be entered with the "add" switch to create a new account.

cf adminuser add username=admin2 password=<password_value> directory=/home/admin2 role=admin

This should create an account called "admin2", assign the password value as entered and create a home directory called "admin2" under the "home" branch.

If you log into a command prompt and enter man cf_adminuser you can see all of the settings available to you.

-Phil.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points