Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
697 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2013 9:32 AM by edxavier RSS
heathq Newcomer 1 posts since
Mar 23, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 23, 2013 1:05 PM

Settings For: Workstation vs Server

I'm creating  policies and I'm confused about this setting. How does ePO know if a box is a server or a workstation? Also, I have a few Windows Server 2003 workstations. Which option should I pick for those? Using ePO 4.6.1 if it matters.

Thanks,

Heath

• petersimmons McAfee Employee 230 posts since
    Dec 22, 2009
    1. Mar 23, 2013 10:52 PM (in response to heathq)
    Re: Settings For: Workstation vs Server

It specifically pulls operating system information to make the determination.

>>, I have a few Windows Server 2003 workstations

I don't really understand that statement. The operating system is clearly a server OS. The underlying hardware is irrelevant to the assignment of the tags.

• edxavier Newcomer 27 posts since
    Dec 7, 2012
    2. Mar 25, 2013 9:32 AM (in response to heathq)
    Re: Settings For: Workstation vs Server

Hello,

I believe ePO will identify this through registry values and OS installed on those machines.

You can review the properties for servers and workstations to see if they're correctly identified.

If by some chance you have a physical workstation (a hardware that is intenteded to be used as a workstation) with Server OS installed, ePO problably will identify this as a server.

Then, you can configure policies for server and workstations, note that you don't have to create a policy for each one. The same policy can configure specific settings for servers and workstations.

Xavier

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points