1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2013 2:57 PM by zoli62

Less frequent automatic updating

zoli62

Previously, on the version 2011 during each boot after 5 minutes it was always automatically checked, there's a new update. If so, it has been installed. Since release of version 2012 the  checking of updates occurs  automatically during every system startup after 15 minutes. In my experience, this does not always happen. So  it occurs that after 15 minutes there is no always automatic update check. If  i use the machine only a couple of hours per day occurs that a virus database sometimes is updated automatically only after two days. What could be the reason of this issue?

Message was edited by: zoli62 on 3/20/13 5:45:19 AM CET

on 3/20/13 6:14:40 AM CET

on 3/20/13 6:15:02 AM CET
        • 1. Re: Less frequent automatic updating

Hi,

Is this question about about SaaS Endpoint Protection or Total Protection 2011/2012?

Thanks

Maheson

• 2. Re: Less frequent automatic updating

Hi,

My Apologies. Just noticed one of your previous posts referencing SaaS.

On version 5.4, we made this modification of running that update 15 mins after booting the system. This was done to enhance the system performance and the slow down during(or just after) startup. Certain other features were also included to ensure that the update does not bother the users' work. Did you ever try putting the system to standby mode to check if the update happens automatically(even if you use your system only for a few hours)?

Regards,

Maheson

• 3. Re: Less frequent automatic updating
              zoli62

My question  was related to SaaS Endpoit Protection, former McAfee Total Protection for Small Business.

• 4. Re: Less frequent automatic updating
                zoli62

Yes, I've tried just not in standby, but idle mode. In this case, too, the automatic update only a few hours later  was successful. In these circumstances, in the same way it happened that the virus database has been updated only a few days later.

• 5. Re: Less frequent automatic updating

Hi,

Do you have any custom policy configured or just using the default one. If you have a custom policy configured, could you check what is the update frequency that is set. One more question that I had was it this an issue noticed on one/group of machines or all.

Regards,

Maheson

• 6. Re: Less frequent automatic updating
                    zoli62

I am using SaaS with the default McAfee policy.  I have noticed this issue on one machine.

• 7. Re: Less frequent automatic updating

Hi,

Under default policy, the system is set to update once in 12 hours. One thing that I see as unusal is that you have mentioned that the system isnt updating for a couple of days even when you use it only for a few hours a day, because the agent is supposed to auto-update during that particular time. Can you review the agent log to see if gives any clue about the issue.

The log is located in,

Win XP - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\Logs

Win Vista/7/8 - C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Managed VirusScan\Logs

There is a time stamp that should provide some clue about the tima at which the instance occured. So please check only during the time that you have logged into the system.

Regards,

Maheson

• 8. Re: Less frequent automatic updating
                        zoli62

So at least  average 12 hours per days must be the computer on the network, that the update to happen.

on 3/26/13 4:57:31 PM CET
                        • 9. Re: Less frequent automatic updating

Not exactly. Eventhough the update frequency is 12 hours, Any update that had not happened should be forcefuly done on the subsequent availability of the system.

The logs that I have mentioned should be able to tell us if something is stopping from updating during the time that the machine was online. I would suggest you to go through the logs that I have mentioned in my previous reply.

Thanks,

Maheson

1 2 Previous Next